Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Eiki 6100's need help getting parts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Eiki 6100's need help getting parts
Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2010 09:41 PM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I have a pair of Eiki 6100's that need a few parts and I was wondering If someone can tell me where to get a manual and parts list for one of these? I have a few rotten o-ring belts, but otherwise the machines look to be in good shape.

I am also not 100% sure how to run these, as I have only dealt with table top machines in the past.

also, if anyone has any advice about things that often go wrong with these machines that I should look out for, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
jon

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-12-2010 07:18 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a manual for this in the "manuals" section on this site. I have not seen a parts manual, however.

Try KMR Electronics for parts. They have been helpful to me in the past. Eiki may have some as well, but dealing with them tends to be painful.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2010 09:16 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly KMR is out of business--ICECO supposedly bought their inventory of parts. People have reported good results with the two Richards who hang around 16mmfilmtalk--Richard Burgess in the DC area (he used to be an Eiki dealer and goes under the moniker RBMultiMedia). You can also try Richard Patchett in Royal Oak Michigan. He has a website rcsclassic16mm.com. Both can order whatever parts they don't have in stock. Burgess also rebuilds the Eiki switcher supplies. I don't have his phone or email, but if you register at 16mmfilmtalk you can pm him through the forum, or take a shot with the northern Virginia phonebooks. Good luck.

Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2010 08:43 AM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eiki no longer provides parts or support for any 16mm projectors.

These projectors do put a nice image on the screen, but there are some recurring problems:

1) The main control board often fails
2) The audio preamplifier/amplifiers often fail
3) The focus mechanism breaks the first time you forget to unlock it
4) The claw pulldown mechanism, if equipped, must be properly adjusted or you'll trash your film
5) The DC leads to the lamphouse are exposed to casual human contact on the non-operating side of the machine

The good part is many mechanical parts are interchangeable with the Eiki portable models, most notably the EX-4000 version, which can be often had on ebay or 16mmfilmtalk. Its pretty easy to bypass the whole relay system and run things manually, and to bypass the audio board right into a cinema processor/mixer.

Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2010 10:43 PM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks much for the info, I will do a little more looking around based on it, and hopefully get something closer to working.

best,
jon

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2010 05:27 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had one of these projectors for about four years, and so far have found it to betrouble free.
The only problem that I have had, and it was my fault, was to accidentally press the red inching button when the machine was rewinding. This action blew all the fuses, and a relay. So beware.
I have obtained the correct drive belts from a firm in Northern Ireland. I believe that they will ship overseas.
Their web address is www.projectorservicesni.com

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-14-2010 04:14 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For parts etc. try Roberts Film Service, they're in Montreal so if you Google them select the English version of the site.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-14-2010 04:19 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I serviced a few of these machines for UC Irvine.

The belts are common O-rings, don't waste money buying them from anywhere other than a bearing shop. IIRC they were only a few bucks each, and are a common size.

The control boards are a very expensive joke, hope you never have to replace one.

Otherwise the machines are pretty good.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2010 09:11 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used Grainger for those poly o rings on another Eiki projector which the factory no longer supported. They have a website and will ship if you're not near one of their branches.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-15-2010 10:51 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The electronics in Eiki's except for the lamp power supply seems to be complete shit.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 06-15-2010 11:17 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree with Bill's assessment.

The mechanics are fine, however. I have used 5/32" round urethane o-rings from Mcmaster-Carr as replacements for OEM round belts in portable Eikis with success. They last longer and don't turn to goo over time.

That said, if you have money, sell the Eiki and get the Kinoton FP-38E (a much, much better machine in every respect).

Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2010 11:04 PM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks much for the info, I will do a little more looking around based on it, and hopefully get something closer to working.

best,
jon

Jon Byler
Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2010 01:16 PM      Profile for Jon Byler   Email Jon Byler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
somehow got a double post, and couldn't reply properly...

I was thinking of doing the same thing on the O-rings (mcmaster carr). the other belts (toothed) seem fine.

I just powered up and everything works so far - helps to read RTFM all the way through. First film played well, but my hand as a brake to keep the upper spool from unrolling is a bit of a pain (also have now way to rewind it now [Roll Eyes] ) but hopefully I will have the o-rings tomorrow or the next day. now I just need to see about a wider angle lens than the 50MM so I can get a bigger picture with less distance and find somewhere to keep and use these two beasts. they are much nicer than my elmo 16-cl that I have been using the past few years.

Thanks much for the info!

best,
jon

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 06-16-2010 01:33 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out for the rewind function on these. If you hit "stop" when the film has rewound, a brake will engage on the feed reel. With most of these machines, it engages too hard and will cinch the film. If you must rewind on these machines, I recommend just turning off the master power switch when the film is rewound (assuming that the lamp is cool), which will allow the reel to coast to a gradual stop.

The lenses are standard Eiki mount. They show up on Ebay from time to time.

Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2010 01:59 PM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
I recommend just turning off the master power switch when the film is rewound (assuming that the lamp is cool), which will allow the reel to coast to a gradual stop
Heh - and allow 6000' of film to unwind itself on the floor [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: