Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » looking for Christie AW3 platter part (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: looking for Christie AW3 platter part
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-11-2010 12:53 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have the part number for the plastic bulb cover things that screw into the light sockets above the bottom and middle decks to protect the bulbs? The manual has a part listed for "indicator, white" (546700-37), but that apparently refers to the socket and not the bulb cover. At least that is what arrived when that part was ordered.

(I realize that the correct reply to this is "stop smashing the bulb covers." Sadly, that is out of my control, and I would prefer that people smash the bulb covers rather than the bulbs themselves, as removal of smashed covers is much easier.)

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-11-2010 03:34 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just went through this! The original cover is no longer available (through Christie, anyway.) Although the replacement parts description calls it 'white' it is actually clear plastic.

546700-019 Indicator, White Cap (it is actually clear plastic)

If you order:
546700-037 Indicator
you will only get the base

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2010 03:43 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The caps on my lights are white.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2010 12:08 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have experienced this twice.

The operator smashes the bulb and the bulb filament wires short together and because there are no fuses in the circuit, the transformer goes up in smoke.

You know there is some rough film treatment ensuing to cause this to occur.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-12-2010 12:25 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal is retiring hundreds of AW-3s as the DCIP rollout continues. Perhaps they could be a supply of used light covers?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-12-2010 01:03 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do I get me some of these retired AW3s?

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2010 01:28 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want one, too!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-12-2010 08:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dudes.... Replace the incandescent light with LED equivalent lights. Not only do you not need the cover but the LED can't be broken.

Mark

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-13-2010 09:41 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what Regal intends to do with their used AW-3s or if they are open to making any of their old gear available for sale. For those wanting to purchase one, perhaps a call to Regal Corporate in Knoxville is in order?

Strong is also taking in quite a bit of used Strong-built film gear as the DCIP project continues. I imagine most of that stuff will be scraped, but some of it will likely end up being re-sold based on demand both here and overseas.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 06-13-2010 10:10 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong Technical Services has contracted with Regal to install the new gear and part of the deal is they get the equipment for resale.

I don't know that they even want all those platters and consoles, but there are all those lenses and projectors that will end up in third world countries.

Oh wait; we have now become a third world country.

Michael Riley
Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2010 01:53 PM      Profile for Michael Riley   Email Michael Riley       Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, my understanding is that most of Regal's 35mm equipment is being sold to some exhibitors in South America

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-13-2010 02:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something tells me they will be wanting to buy it back pretty soon when the next debacle takes place!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-13-2010 11:40 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why the hell would you want to buy back Strong equipment?

Think I like picking on Strong? I challenge any Strong employee to a dance-off to settle this once and for all!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-14-2010 01:48 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After replacing about a dozen of the under-platter lights over the years (and griping about their general dimness) I replaced them with the 18" flourescent lights from lighted standees. I tied them to the platter arms with long cable-ties.

Advantages include:

- Free
- Pretty much impossible to smash with a platter ring
- Can be turned off individually
- Way brighter than the original lights, allowing you to actually see something

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-14-2010 05:59 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LED's work!

If you want a nifty fluorescent, they make a very conpact folded bulb for EXIT signs. We have squeezed these into makeup tables (Potts/Strong). We have looked at the platter, too, but have, as yet, not done so. Very bright and might fit onto the removeable metal cover. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: