Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Diode stuffing for Nonsynce 4:2:4 decoding on cp55

Author Topic: Diode stuffing for Nonsynce 4:2:4 decoding on cp55
Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-08-2010 07:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have the diode stuffing handy to set the cp55 nonsync input to 4:2:4 matrix decoding with sub
The units have been stuffed for the DA20 method of SR and there is a signal appearing on the output LED of the cat 150 but the output card only shows the hard left and right
I can't seem to find the schematic or notes for the cat 243

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-09-2010 06:06 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP55 ONLY routes L/R to L/R...not 2:4 decoding except for Center and Surround.

Steve

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-09-2010 03:14 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there some sort of backplane mod to get 2:4 decoding? Maybe switching the N/S in where the SRA-5 would normally go?

I'm sure Sam would know of a way to do it.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2010 04:07 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a few years, but I've gotten round this succesfully.

With a SRA5 installed the good (DA20) way, I connect my pro-logic souce to the SRA5 Non-Sync terminals, then with a simple toggle switch and a bit of wiring, you put the DA20 into 'SR OUT', by breaking the sens/control line between the SRA5 and the CP55.
With the CP55 in Format 05, the SRA5 routes it's Non-Sync input straight into the decoder.

Watch out for DC or spikes on the SRA5 Non-Sync output. The VCA doesn't like that, and those chips are getting rare now. A colleague came up with a resistive scheme to protect it from such things, I don't have the details handy, sorry.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: