Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Indian prints are weird (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Indian prints are weird
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-05-2010 05:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the other day I was building up a brand-new print of Ragnjeeti or whatever. Many (not all) Indian prints like to number reels in a strange, third-world way. For example, they will call reel 1 "reel 1+2" and so on. Anyway, I get to reel 9+10. I see that it says 9+10/19. OK. I figured that meant out of 19 total reels. I've seen that before. But nope! Reel 19 was included on that same reel! I noticed this as I was winding the reel over and suddenly it came undone and started flapping around. Reel 19 was fairly short. It could have easily fit on reel 17+18. What the hell?

Is there no professionalism in India? I know it is on the decline here for sure , but DAAAMN!

At least the movie came on cores. I've had brand new Indian prints come sans cores. Almost all used ones come without cores. I do not understand this.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-05-2010 06:24 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not so much weird as just ancient; the old ways evidently don't die easily in India. That lab must be still numbering them the old fashion way -- 1000ft reels incriments. Hey, we started it in the early days of silents and 1000ft lab capacity. When we got it together and started shipping on 2000ft reels, it became the 1A & 1B thing. So if that particular Indian lab was still numbering them the 1000ft way, reel 19 would mean you had 9 and a half 2000ft reels. Pretty long movie, was it? Must have been all those musical numbers in it I'll bet. They don't know from editing over there.

If you ever play old silents or even many early 30s titles that haven't been re-edited but just printed from original elements,, you will see consecutive reals numbered 1, 3, 5, 7, etc. Of course usually by the time you get it, a brother projectionist would have numbered them 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, but you can still see the original numbers on the leaders & tails.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-05-2010 07:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've also seen them include 3 reels on a single reel from the lab, printed as one. There was no reason for them to do what they did with reel 19. Also, Indian movies are notable for bajillions of lab splices per print. They must have an extremely low capacity on their printers over there. Time to upgrade!

I'd like to see an Indian 70mm print some day. I wonder if they can even imagine such a thing.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2010 07:39 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 9/10 plus 19 thing didn't surprise me all that much. I've seen it done like that before.

In adition to the lab splices I also got a few reels with several tape splices (where the film has been cut for UK exhibition.)

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2010 08:05 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last one i ran had tilted images all the way through like my scope lens was turned a bit but it was their camera lens!

They are not to particular about setting the anamorphic lens straight in the camera.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-05-2010 11:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, the solution is to stop running Indian movies. [Razz]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-06-2010 12:39 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like that solution.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-06-2010 05:22 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sound Of Music could also benefit from that theory...get to the wedding and go straight to the credits. Try programming it that way on DVD sometime...works well and saves you a good 60 minutes without all the boring war bits.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-06-2010 10:09 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, was Reel 19 all credits? If so, it could have been something tacked on after the body of the film was printed, or made that way so the credits could be dropped. Or, just your run of the mill half assed lab job. Maybe they print using ends [Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-06-2010 10:19 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, there was still full motion movie action for nearly half of rel 19.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-06-2010 04:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
India used to do alot of 70mm prints
the standard is still 1000' per reel and many smaller labs still number the prints accordingly

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2010 09:49 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently asked one of the Bollywood distributors what I should do with my print of his movie, since Bollywood movies neither ship through Brake Water or UPS.

The response?

"Dumpster."

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2010 09:56 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
similar experience here ran one few weeks back noticed it was not like our "normal" prints.
also the film stock was very thick and the one sheet posters were very thin.
also the attandance was terrible and I too have a feeling my return address may be the dumpster.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-07-2010 10:02 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is some other (eastern Eurpoean?) country that numbers reels this way, too. They go 1,3,5,etc., but ship on 2000' reels (cores?).

Russian films (at least older ones) ship in 1000' lengths and are, of course, numbered as such.

Then there are the countries that make films intended to be shown at 25fps. I can count on one hand (with fingers left over) the number of venues in this state that can show those properly....

F. Hudson Miller
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2010 11:08 PM      Profile for F. Hudson Miller   Email F. Hudson Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Until the late 1990s all films made in Hollywood were cut and mixed on 1000 reels. After the final mix the sound stems (dia, fx, mx masters) were spliced together into A/B reels or Big Reels. R-1+R-2 = R-1A/B or Big R-1. The pull ups (35mm) & pull downs (70mm) were added and 2000ft print masters were recorded. Optical tracks were made and married to 2000 ft release prints made from 2000ft cut pix negs.

In the 1990's With the advent of digital editing/mixing (Avid/Protools), 1000ft reels were abandon for "Big Reels" throughout post-production. There you have more than you ever wanted to know about the demise of the 1000ft editorial reel.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: