Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP55 sound problem echo and increased volume.

Author Topic: CP55 sound problem echo and increased volume.
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2010 07:15 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A theatre I service is using a CP55 processor. During one performance, I was at the location and a film was playing using the AUX input with a DTS unit as the sound source. While I was checking the sound it suddenly became a bit loader and the dialogue was echoing as if the people were in a large cave. I assumed the DTS unit was at fault and instructed the staff to only use format 04. I just received a report from the staff that the problem of echoing sound and increased volume occurred in format 04. I then asked them to try format 03; afterwhich, there have been no reported problems. The following day the staff ran the processor in format 04 all day with no problems. This problem is tough to troubleshoot due to its sporadic nature. Has anyone heard of anything like this or are there any tips I can give the staff to try if it does occur so we can better pinpoint the cause?

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2010 08:12 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric,

The echo sounds like the DTS and Analog backup are both playing at the same time. The amount of echo determined by the threading of the projector.

Does this happen if you cause the DTS to drop back to Analog?

Sounds like a logic selection problem with the CP-55.

KEN

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-01-2010 08:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet that the format selection section of the front face (where the volume control and the buttons are at) is going goofy on you.

If you got a spare CP55 lying around, swap out the front lids and see if that cures the issue. I had that happen as well and it was the defective front lid.

OR, turn the unit off (switch over to bypass) and see if the ribbon cabling from the front face to the main chassis is fully connected by undoing and redoing the connection.

Good luck - Monte

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-02-2010 08:27 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suspect that one of the solid state switchs is getting flaky allowing tow formats to bleed through or possibly a bad ground is allowing a signal through

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-02-2010 05:14 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Power off the dts, then see if the 55 works normally. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: