Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SPA7 automation stuck in sync mode.

Author Topic: SPA7 automation stuck in sync mode.
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2010 03:12 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a SPA7 automation which seems to be stuck in sync mode. There is a sync button which has an indicator light next to it which is illuminated.

Pressing the sync button or cycling the automation power does not clear the state. I have removed the wires from one contact of the sync switch to investigate a possible failed switch.

Additionally we have an FM35 fail safe on the same projector whose fault light is not illuminated when no film is present; furthermore, the fail safe does not actuate when metal is placed in the cue detector area.

The projector is being run in manual mode for now until the automation problem is solved. I looked at the manual which is a total piece of crap.

Does anyone know if there are some components which I can swap around to try and isolate the problem (on the automation board.)

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-01-2010 06:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check your wiring attached to the failsafe unit for the love to work loose.

One of the relays on the momboard isn't seated too well.

Or, you blew a fuse in the SPA-7 right behind the relays on the momboard.

Worse is that one of those black with silver stripe diodes open up, or shorted in the fuse area - seen that as well.

Good luck-Monte

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2010 06:54 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Monte,

I replaced the cue detector already and verified that the wiring was correct.

I didn't check those fuses though. Thanks for the tip.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-01-2010 07:39 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The manual's not so bad... but the automation uses PALs which, without the truth table, are sometimes hard to figure out. Could it be a shorted SYNC switch opto-isolater at U6?(I think it's U6, the schematic is a little hard to read.)

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2010 11:36 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be U6, I zoomed in but the fuzz only became fuzzier. Are these opto isolators the little white 6 legged ICs that plug in? I wish there was a diagram that showed where U6 is on the board. The way the board is tucked into the console its hard to get a top down view of it.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2010 11:45 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact Troy James at Strong. He can probably help you.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-01-2010 11:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Sorry, don't mean to butt in on this suggestion, no offense, but with experiences on STRONG automations, this where I was referred to go for any automation help with these old automations that are extinct)

Actually, EPRAD would be the one to call since EPRAD built all of the automations for STRONG.

1-419-666-3266

The automation comes out real easily. Two screw and nut that goes through the console (you open the lamphouse door and look underneath towards the front and you can see the nuts on each side) on each end of the front of the automation unit, undo the cabling that attaches to the automation and the thing just slides out.

-Monte

Dennis Udovich
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2010 09:59 PM      Profile for Dennis Udovich   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Udovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPA7s were built in the mid-90's by EPRAD for Strong. We have a number of them, all giving problems. Not easy to fix any and all problems with them.
We have been replacing them with CNA 100 from Strong also built by EPRAD. They work with no problems.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2010 01:41 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The good old SPA7 automation

-

With front panel aside, the automation board is easily removed by removing all cable connections and removing 9 screws which mount the PC to the standoffs.

-

During removal of the board I noted that one wire on one of the connectors was pulled loose. How did this happen? I'll assume a ghost or some type of magic. Further investigation reveals that the fuse on the back left is blown which passes voltage to the cue detector.

-

Why was the fuse blown? Inspection of the wiring reveals that the non-operator side 5 Star belt cover has pinched the insulation. Someone was nice enough to put tape over it (perhaps the ghost or the magical being.)

-

To fix, I installed a new cable, new used automation board, cut and re spliced and rerouted the fail safe wire.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-04-2010 01:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Dang, that platter deck is all scratched up to high-heaven...people beating them to death with clamps..and the scratches loves to snag film when paying out..)

On the wire: they can pop out so easy out of those crimps if the assembler in the factory doesn't press down on the crimping tool that presses the wire into the crimp..

Does it work now?

-Monte

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2010 03:51 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Dang, that platter deck is all scratched up to high-heaven
[Big Grin] That comment had me rolling Monte [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: