Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Norelco FP-20 "intermittent question"

Author Topic: Norelco FP-20 "intermittent question"
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2010 01:07 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just took possession of a Norelco FP-20. Looking at the manual and the unit itself I do not see a site glass for the intermittent oil level. Also can you confirm this is the filler tube for the intermittent.

Thank you!

-

Sorry guys I hit the post button before finishing the title. If the mods can modify the title please have it read
"FP-20 intermittent question"

Thank you!

|  IP: Logged

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2010 01:56 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is indeed the filler tube, and the operating oil level should be in between the red and green lines. Be sure the open end of the drain tube coming out of the bottom of the intermittent is above the oil fill line.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2010 03:12 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The white pipe with the red and green lines is the sight glass. Usually it's clear, not opaque.

Also the intermittent pictured is an early'ish one. Later ones have a short vent tube beside the sight glass.

Phillips/Kinoton have never advocated filling the intermittent via the sight glass, the book(s) and training courses say fill it via what Robert is referring to as the drain tube. It's really the drain/fill tube. This is especially important on earler ones as pictures here, as the risk of airlocking is higher.

Another tip, always check the oil level with the dust cap removed from the sight glass. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a mech go from spot on oil level to empty, just by removing the cap. It's the vacumn below the cap to blame. Kinoton advocate piercing a small hole in the cap nowadays.

I've seen a couple of early FP20 mechs siezed because of airlocking, yet the level on the glass looked perfect. Until you removed the cap, or waggled the fill/drain tube. Next thing it burped and the oil suddently dissapeared iside the intermittent. Properly siezed too, cross and cam blued form the heat!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-31-2010 03:22 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pete Naples
Usually it's clear, not opaque
On some the plastic goes 'off' and changes to this color.

quote: Alan Gouger
If the mods can modify the title please have it read
"FP-20 intermittent question"

Alan, I'm pretty sure that as the original poster you can do this yourself.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-31-2010 03:39 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And watch out with that tube; they seem to crack very easily.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2010 04:17 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert Minichino
That is indeed the filler tube, and the operating oil level should be in between the red and green lines. Be sure the open end of the drain tube coming out of the bottom of the intermittent is above the oil fill line.
Thanks Robert. Ill look for that drain tube. Just got this so I am still working my way through the learning curve.

quote:
The white pipe with the red and green lines is the sight glass. Usually it's clear, not opaque.

Also the intermittent pictured is an early'ish one. Later ones have a short vent tube beside the sight glass.always check the oil level with the dust cap removed from the sight glass.

Looks like I have earlier one. This one did not come with the dust cap, Ill try to construct one. Im lucky in that it runs very smooth and quiet. I want to make sure I keep it that way:)

quote: John Wilson
Alan, I'm pretty sure that as the original poster you can do this yourself.
Thanks for the tip John. Just fixed it:)

quote: John Walsh
And watch out with that tube; they seem to crack very easily.
Will do. Thanks John.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2010 07:21 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a gallon of Simplex oil. Is there a better oil for the intermittent or will this be fine.

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2010 07:57 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spot on Pete [thumbsup]

Kinoton oil would be a better option than simplex.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2010 10:05 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each projector manufacturer used a different weight of oil, sometimes different from model to model.

Unless someone here knows what weight of oil Kinoton uses, I would stick with official Kinoton oil.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-31-2010 10:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would use Kinoton Oil.

Steve

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2010 02:03 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely use Kinoton oil, as if something breaks parts are expensive to get. Also, if you get dust cap, be sure to make whole on it!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2010 05:37 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, this brings back memories. I used to operate FP23C's, and then PK60D's, many years ago. I loved those machines. If you are draining and refilling the intermittent, I understand why it is necessary to fill through the drain/fill tube, not the sight tube. But if you are just topping off the oil to bring it to the proper level, couldn't you just add it to the sight tube?

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2010 09:46 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton oil ordered.

quote:
if you get dust cap, be sure to make whole on it!
Will do, thx.

Anyone install a Kelmar film cleaner on one of these. If so any pictures.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: