Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Old Projector Room/Static

Author Topic: Old Projector Room/Static
Adam Holland
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2010 11:34 AM      Profile for Adam Holland   Email Adam Holland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an old Fireproof projection room that doesn't have airconditioning. I have been having a problem with film jumping out of the leaver on the platter prior to going through the brain when running my header through to get the show ready to start when I thread. I am assuming this is caused by static due to humidity here in the deep south. Besides cutting a whole in the fireproof wall and placing a window unit what else would be my best option to remedy this problem. If this has been covered before I apologize for reposting it. Any ideas from all of you veteran film handlers on here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam T. Holland
Director of Theatre Operations
W.C. Chamber of Commerce
The Historic Fiske Theatre

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2010 11:43 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
  • Film-Guard
  • Roll around portable air conditioner with hot air hose vented into a closet or out a port hole window.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2010 11:49 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
High humidity usually means low to no static. What make/model of platter are you using?

Troy Powell
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2010 12:10 PM      Profile for Troy Powell   Email Troy Powell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like he might have a speco platter.His leader could also be sticky.Good ol filmguard or xekote might work.

Adam Holland
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2010 02:51 PM      Profile for Adam Holland   Email Adam Holland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your advice. I have a Christie Autowind 3 platter.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-30-2010 02:23 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May not be a static problem, but a film build problem where the first part of the film on the deck is wound super tight from high speed film builds.

If this is so, I usually reach under and remove the belt from the motor and pulley and let the payout spindle on the MUT just freewheel and this reduces a tight wind on the platter.

..or, just have the booth personnel build slower ...

Good luck-Monte

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2010 07:22 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
I usually reach under and remove the belt from the motor and pulley and let the payout spindle on the MUT just freewheel
WoW! I wonder how common this practice is? I've been doing this for years. I sometimes supply a bit of "hand tension" to the reel, but I never liked building up with the belt connected since I always thought it put extra un-needed tension and stress on the film.

Richard B. Perrine
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2010 09:11 PM      Profile for Richard B. Perrine   Email Richard B. Perrine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this problem on an Christie AW3 years ago.....It was traced to the 3 rollers. The outer 2 with the springs pulling them in to the center roller (on the Brain)...contacted the center roller at an angle.
This was from either A) screw being loose where the roller mounted and pivited....or B) the actual shaft where the roller mounted on the arm was bent.
The film then had contact only on the lower part of the rollers and as it ran...it gradually moved up...until it flipped out of the rollers and the fingers on the brain.
In our case it was bent shafts...

RBPerrine@att.net

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: