Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » JBL Horns (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: JBL Horns
Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2010 02:26 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so we have a single 15 for the middle of our theater. The horn on top of the cabinet is a jbl compression driver 16 ohms i am not sure about the model i didn't think to look. It has to have a diameter on the back of the horn about 4 inches but i am going to assume its a 2 inch compression driver.
The connectors on the back of it suck and they are not holding a good connection speaker vibration has caused it not to say connected. It looked almost like it was threaded into a socket and i gave it a slight turn well its loose now. Is their a way to tighten this connection on these stupid push button connectors up so they don't rattle loose and keep a good connection. This is on our center channel.

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2010 10:48 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a way to tightn the push in plugs down but I would be more concerned about the excessive vibration. Is this horn properly mounted to the LF cabinet?

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2010 06:22 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes its just that it has come loose over the past 6 years and since no one ever sees it they never worry about it. I found it out after their were complains about sound being muffled.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2010 01:10 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three solutions,
Remove the binding post and solder the cables directly! Make sure that you have a secure point so as not to have the inner cable being forced by the input cable. Do not solder directly the binding posts!

Replace the binding posts (if you can find a replacement)

Buy new speaker [Big Grin]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-21-2010 12:07 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL good ones Demetris [Big Grin]

Fourth solution:

Remove the cover that the posts are mounted on, on the backside will be pigtail leads and nuts holding the binding posts on. Tighten your nuts and it'll be good to go. [Smile]

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2010 02:09 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the forth solution tonight before i got a chance to read it. Whoever put these things in had half of them wired backwards to the crossovers aka pos to neg and neg to pos so my 3 screen channels are now all in phase to each other. Now to check the rest of the theaters.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-22-2010 04:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful... Some of them should be wired backwards or out of phase. Depends on model... You may want to ask Steve Guttag. He can tell you which models off the top of his head
Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2010 05:11 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a pair of JBL subs that were out of phase. After checking numerous times that the polarity was connected correctly from the amp to speakers and removing the drivers to check the connections between the drivers and push terminals (all of which were correct based on color coding) I ended up reversing one of them inside the cabinet and leaving a note for future reference.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-22-2010 05:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On should always verify speaker phaseing with a tick box like the easy phase that smart used to sell

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-22-2010 05:59 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall JBL coded all drivers so a positive voltage on the red terminal moves the voice coil out of the magnet assembly. Since the horn diaphragm is mounted opposite to cone drivers, the horn sound waves will be "out of phase" with the bass bin's if you connect both with amp + to the red terminal.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-22-2010 07:36 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would be the reasoning over this from JBL to have each driver to "pull" opposite if the positives were tied together?

Seems a bit confusing and kinda goes against logical wire terminations..

-Monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-22-2010 09:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Positive voltage on red or "+" terminal having a cone driver move out of the magnet is the convention of most.

JBL did it in reverse in a "retaliation" to Altec convention since James B Lansing was the father of both.

As for what drivers are in "normal" phase versus reverse...if a JBL driver is a legacy driver (can be a direct replacement of an earlier driver) then it will follow the traditional JBL convention of reverse phase. If it is a NEW JBL driver that does NOT DIRECTLY REPLACE a legacy driver, then it will follow normal phase.

Thus 2225, 2226 drivers will follow reverse phase. 2425, 2426, 2445, 2446, 2450 drivers will also follow reverse phase.

Subwoofers is where it gets tricky. The 4645 (original) used the 2245H, it is reverse phase. The 4645B and 4645C use the 2242...this is NOT a direct replacement of an earlier driver so it follows NORMAL phase. The 4642A subwoofer uses 2241 drivers...the 2241 IS a replacement of the 2240 driver so it follows REVERSE phase! JBL states that the 4141 and the 4642A follow NORMAL phase...which means the cabinets have to be wired reverse internally. I can and have found them wired wrong and, in the case of the 2242A, with each driver wired opposite (to the terminals on the cabinet)!

As Gord says...use a phase checker to ensure you are wired in-phase. The CP650 and CP750 even give you the "thump" for the phase checker to work from.

Steve

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2010 09:57 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will go back up their and get the model of each but only the center and left were wired backwards only for the horn. The right was wired correctly.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2010 12:16 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression that the positioning of the horn and the miss allignment of the magnets for both the woofers and mid horns could also effect the phasing.
Also some if not all 12db per octive crossovers reversed or introduce a 180 shift the phasing as well?

If one looks at the eq one can see the effect of either the peak or dip in response created by the miss match! I remember reading an altec manual that discribed the sound effect of a miss matched phasing.

Is it possible that the person who wired it up also eqed it? If so perhaps you have now made it out of phase? At least a new eq would probably be required as the wiring does effect the frequency response of the system, as it has probably been eqed in its last configeration?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-23-2010 01:19 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also: on Legacy JBL units, it was necessary to reverse the phase in order for explosions to be "positive" phase. See the original THX drawings for reference. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: