Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » o scope

Author Topic: o scope
Jenny Sparks
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2010 04:32 AM      Profile for Jenny Sparks   Email Jenny Sparks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what is the correct way to use an o scope to check your readers. Mine are the component engineering 40`s

is there an instruction guide somewhere....the processor is a ultra sound 295 and the amps are EV 2600a

dont have a clue what im doing but I need to learn

thanks

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-18-2010 12:44 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an area where you should call up a technician to come to your location to the the test procedure, and maybe he can show you on using this device correctly.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2010 01:17 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best place to start is to ask your theatre's tech if he would mind if you looked over his shoulder while he worked. If he is okay with it you should try to ask as many questions as you can without distracting him/her.

Also reading the Dolby manuals off of this site is a very good place to start as well I would just severly caution you not to make any adjustments unless you have been shown how and you have permission from your tech/manager/owner.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-18-2010 01:38 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny, I second what Monte and Sean said.

Please understand we're not trying to be mean or discourage you, but the analog and digital sound readers' adjustments are super critical and you can, if you are not 100% sure of what you're doing, completely lose all sound or totally destroy the quality to the point that you WILL have to have an emergency call by a technician to get running again!

Sean's suggestion is a good one. Most competent techs won't mind explaining what's going on.

With that said, in general I NEVER instruct theatre staff on reader adjustments but I DO show them the proper use of Dolby CAT 69 (Tone) to check levels and Buzz track to check lateral alignment. Those instructions are found in the manuals for both Dolby and Ultra*Stereo equipment.

Reader adjustments fall into the category of "If it ain't broke don't (try to) fix it." [Big Grin]

Also be aware it is remotely possible to damage your processor by misuse/misconnection of a 'scope. (Before anyone jumps down my throat and argues, yes it is possible and and yes I have done it.) [Big Grin]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-18-2010 09:07 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
Most competent techs won't mind explaining what's going on
..kinda how I began to learn about technical services..having great RCA techs who were willing to teach me (and studying parts manuals of the equipment) while they were doing the service work since I knew that just being a chief projectionist, even though it is a lot of responsibility in itself, that I needed to expand if I'm going to survive and be successful in this industry.

-Monte

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-18-2010 09:32 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't add much to the good advice above.

However, it is nearly impossible (except for this site) to obtain manuals at the cinema. They are routinely thrown away if they ever existed at all. Louis

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-19-2010 01:08 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if you know this. This is why I'm asking...

The first thing you need to know is the theory on how the system works before you even make the attempt at adjusting your projector, regardless of whether your tech trains you or not. After that, you need to understand what an oscilloscope does and how to operate it.

If you don't know how the oscilloscope works, you won't understand what it's trying to tell you. If you don't know how your sound system works, the information the scope tells you will be useless.

You don't need to know every little theoretical detail of how things work. You just need to understand the paradigms behind their operation. You need to know that the sound reproducer operates on a beam of light which passes through the soundtrack of the film then falls upon a solar cell or an electronic sensor which changes the modulated light beam into a fluctuating voltage. You need to know that a scope is basically a graph drawing machine where the Y-axis shows voltage and the X-axis shows the passage of time.

You don't need to know the theoretical physics which allow solar cells (or electronic sensors) to change light into electricity. You don't need to know the details of electronics behind the operation of the oscilloscope. But, if you don't know these basics, all the instruction in the world won't help you understand what you are doing well enough to do the job correctly.

Of course, you can be taught to "turn this knob" or to "adjust this screw" until the oscilloscope displays a pattern that looks a certain way but what will happen if you encounter a situation that you haven't been taught?

I'm sorry if I sound pedantic but I don't know your level of knowledge. It would be silly for me or anybody else to try to explain things to you unless we are able to speak on the same terms.

The first thing I'd say to do is what the others mention. Talk to your tech. Have him show you the ropes. If you can follow along with what he tells you, the learning process will not be too hard. But, if you watch him work and it looks like black magic, you know you've got some studying to do before you try this on your own.

Also, download the manuals from this site and read them. A lot of the things in there will seem like gobbledygook at first but you should eventually understand. When your tech comes, hopefully, you'll be able to understand what he's talking about and you'll be able to have an intelligent discussion once you know the terms.

Jenny Sparks
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2010 08:23 AM      Profile for Jenny Sparks   Email Jenny Sparks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK,,heres where Im at

we have component engineering LED readers. I understand there is a method to set these up ...I have test film and how I did it before was...I have a plug in boards on the ultra 295 that has a noise reduction and has (I guess) level meters with needles,,,,I made me a set of headphones and went to work.....I adjusted the reader angle and distance by watching the needles and then listening to the sound from the test film....the sound (believe it or not) is actually pretty good....BUT OCCASIONALLY,,we will get a film in that for some reason or another, the surround dont seem to work,,,,I was told what was probably happening is that it wasnt reading it off the film and the the only way to really adjust these things is find a Oscope and go to work....I can get a cheap one off of ebay that the tech at Component Engineering said would be sufficient but dont have a clue what to hook up to,,,,Im assuming Im looking for a certain wave lenght or output signal,,,,,thought there may be some material that would show what Im looking for without harrassing the guys at component to death

In our area, there isnt any tech available (that I can afford) and the only one that has been on our property in the last 10 years was the first guy that was supposed to install all our stuff......he did one and THANK GOD, I was paying attention.....he set one of our 4 up and then got a phone call and left....never seen him again and he had the nerve to send me a bill.....nearest tech for me is about 6 hrs away that I have found and they charge 12 hrs traveling time.....So I installed the other 3 theaters myself,,,including screens,,projectors,,sound seats....everything.....learning experience....

when the new readers became manditory a few years back, I bought them and set up in a day or so and the above mentioned was how I did it,,,,the sound is good but I know it can be better.....we have ultra 295s..dual EV amps with main centers and side surround

I dont want to dump alot of money into this if possible at this point,,,,we are going to have to go to digital if we are to stay in business so we are saving for our spending spree there..LOL

any help is appreciated

thanks

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2010 09:38 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A cinema technician is really complex occupation for it deals with thousand variables. Unfortunately the attitude "i can do it myself" is not the proper one. Needle method?!!!!! How about azimuth and lateral allingment? Crosstalk and slit loss compensation? Sorry but it will cost you cheaper and have a far better result if you bring a service technician to do a complete A and B chain alingment to your theaters. You will not be diasapointed. With an attitude like this you probably want to install the upcoming d cinema conversion all by yourself because the service technician will charge you 12 hours travelling. Try a technician. They are more friendlier than you think.
Demetris

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-19-2010 12:31 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and to tune for a two channel, center-surround setup is a whole different barrel of monkeys than the more common 4 channel setup (if I read your post correctly of "main centers and surround")

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2010 01:02 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sympathise with your situation. It is difficult when you cannot find the help you need at a reasonable price. have you tried Strong Technical Service? they have techs all over the country and can set you up with a service contract where you will get 3 routine service calls a year that include not only the a chain alignment you need but a full mechanical check-up and tweaking, bulb focus and alignment, platter timing, lens alignment etc... and included emergency service. They charge reasonable rates by the month which depend upon a few fac tors how many screens, how many locations, how far away you are from thier tech's "base" (house) but it can be as low $50.00 a screen per month. They may also be willing to send someone out to come and check things out for you and give you an estimate on a service contract. I havent worked for them in a while but there number was 800-722-4445 and you want to ask for Bud Shepard please let him know that I refered you. I don't remember if they have anyone in Virginia or not but I would bet if anyone does it would be them. Calling them cannot hurt and having someone come out to check things out and give you a quote on a contract cannot hurt. Having the included emergency service can pay for the whole contract for the year with just one or two calls in some cases.

As I said before the dolby manuals are a really great reference for how to do an a-chain alignment. Most even have pictures of what you want to see on the scope. However, like Randy said if you do not have a comprehension of what you are seeing it does little good. Also like Tony said it is possible to damage equipment with the improper use of test equipment. I have seen circuits shorted with a multimeter probe, It is also possible to damage the test equipment. Hooking a meter to a rectifier without properly disconnecting the igniter is a good way to lose the meter. And as Tony said you can really make things catastrophically worse by trying to improve things if you do not have the proper training. Demetris also pointed out that without a proper thorough a-chain alignment you are missing some key adjustments such as frequency response (focus and azimuth), cross talk, lateral alignment, signal level.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-19-2010 09:37 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny Williams is in Knoxville. He may be the tech you originally called.

I am 5.5 hours away in Louisville. I am not aware of anyone better or closer. Is there an airport in your town?

Glad to help. Digital may or may not be in your future. Too much flux right now. Louis

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-20-2010 10:54 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Johnny Williams is in Knoxville. He may be the tech you originally called.
Unlikely, since Knoxville is much closer than the aforementioned 6 hours one-way (it's more like 3-3.5) to Cedar Bluff.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: