Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Smart TA 242 Amp- how many watts?

Author Topic: Smart TA 242 Amp- how many watts?
Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2010 08:50 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently picked up two Smart TA 242 Power Amps.
What is the watts power of this Amp?
I'm assuming 2 Chanel ea.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-15-2010 09:51 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
120 watts into 8 ohms and about 180 into 4

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2010 05:38 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-16-2010 08:21 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a great amp. Probably MCM or equivalent. Oriental private label company source. Distortion is the same at all power levels, not good. About 1.5 to 2%. Louis

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-16-2010 01:06 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The module was originally designed by Hafler and copied by many manufacturers. Smart sold around 4000 units.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2010 01:20 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say they were Identical to the Hafler amps, I believe the manual and the schematics were the same also.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-16-2010 03:39 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then the Hafler was a bad amp also. Put one on the bench and look at distortion. Louis

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-16-2010 07:22 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is the Hafler version, it's a Mosfet output like the Ashly and your favorite, or so I thought.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2010 09:01 PM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, I am not sure which amp you are talking about, but it is definitely not the TA242. It was and is an excellent amplifier, although not very high powered. But for its day, it was quite good. Whatever you measured that had such distortion was either a different amp, or you had a defective one.

The basic design was the Hafler, but the power supply was far and away better. It was even stable into 2 Ohms, although you would blow the speaker fuse if you pushed it too hard. I have tested it at 2 Ohms with an oversized fuse, and it worked perfectly fine.

There was the original TA240 which had a potted amplifier module of British origin which was a piece of junk. Later we changed the TA240 to the Hafler module. We should have changed the model number at the time but did not. Later there were some slight improvements (don't remember the details) and it became the TA242.

We sold thousands of these amps, and I daresay there are still plenty in service. The most common problem was the Molex connectors which gave some trouble with poor connections.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-16-2010 10:14 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Credibility, your name is Oscar! Many thanks. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-17-2010 07:58 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always like the original Hafler amps and the smart TA242
the original used a module from england made by ILP that had issues mainly due to heat
The two issues that one can have is the DC offset null on the TA242 and the original Haflers will drift over time and needs to be adjusted occasionally the procedure is in the manual
The other issue is that the mosfets are no longer made for them
The later Haflers were crap [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: