Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "vibrating" picture with simplex 35's (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "vibrating" picture with simplex 35's
Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2010 02:54 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simplex 35's with turrets. I tightened all lenses and the turrets themselves. Picture is steady when movies are first started. However, about an hour after starting, the picture seems to vibrate on screen. The vibration is very noticeable in the end credits. This happens on both of my simplex 35 projectors. Also, oil levels are at proper levels. I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-08-2010 03:13 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
are the elements in the lenses tightened down, for turret operation units can actually loosen the rear element assembly.

Also, where you saw it in the credits, the bulb could be focused too close to the shutter .. back off the bulb some on this one.

Yet, I did a service call at one 5plex cinema with XL's that also complained on vibrating images in one house and this was in the intermittent assembly. The assembly was loose in the framing cam-the two assembly clampdown tabs were loose (also, the framing cam pinch tabs were also shot as well..).

How about the later guide roller in the trap and gate assembly - is it aligned correctly in the trap?

..some areas to ask on ..

-Good luck - Monte

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2010 03:34 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lateral guide rollers look good. I will try backing off the bulb a bit. But, it doesn't make sense that the picture would be steady for about an hour and then start to vibrate. If there was a problem with loose lenses or the intermittent wouldn't the vibration always be there?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-08-2010 03:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh do agree with the logic, but sometimes situations will appear that will fall out of the logical situations - like if the unit has a mind of its own.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-08-2010 03:54 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be "rubber screen?"

Like Monte said, if the lamp is focused incorrectly it will cause the film to heat up in the gate. It will flex in and out of the focal plane of the lens causing a weird effect that makes it seem like the screen is made out of a giant sheet of bouncing rubber.

With projectors, lamps and lenses made today, this phenomenon should not be common but if things are far enough out of whack it can still happen.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-08-2010 04:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The word Simplex Turret says it all. The problem is definitely in the turrets!!!

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2010 05:18 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
I have tightened the lenses and all parts associated with the turrets. Also, if it is te turrets causing it, why would the first hour or so of the movies be completely steady? Makes no sense to me.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-08-2010 05:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What model turret? I'll bet it is a TU2000.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2010 06:34 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad you are correct. So it seems that these turrets are known for this type of problem. What's the best solution?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-08-2010 06:43 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is a TU-2000 then I agree. Those things are a bitch to get right.
The best thing to do is to take them out and burn them. [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-08-2010 06:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Use the manual latch at the bottom to hold the turret snugly in place and give up on the auto part.

Watch the "ridiculously advanced booth training seminar" video on how to set the oil levels in your Simplexes.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-08-2010 07:02 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not forget the "rattling element" problem many otherwise good lenses have. Remove lens, rap against your palm and look for a rattle. Louis

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2010 12:48 AM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you see a steady stream of oil going into the intermittent? Chances are the oil pump intake screen has never been cleaned. If you are running simplex 1050's then it's definitely long overdue for it. You should see oil streaming down the oil collector tube feeding the intermittent flywheel. If it's not and all you see is a drip then your intermittent is likely giving you problems as it's heating up.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-09-2010 07:13 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be a heat related problem; after an hour, the lamp has heated up the turret or lens holder.

Try just putting pressure on different assemblies with your hand and look on screen if anything changes; push the turret firmly into the closed position, put side pressure on the lenses, the spinning part of the turret, the entire projector itself. I have seen people place a rod under the projector to to reduce it's vibration.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-09-2010 06:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have also seen a shutter that was out of balance in an X-L. It caused a nasty vibration. John's suggestion made me think of this because as it heats up the shutter could be warping slightly.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: