Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Paramount Trailer Package on Iron Man 2 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Paramount Trailer Package on Iron Man 2
Paul Looker
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2010 03:33 PM      Profile for Paul Looker   Email Paul Looker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to chime in about some shady business. For those of you that have to deal with it today, and even for those of you that don't, enclosed in the locked can of Iron Man 2 prints is the "Paramount Trailer Package". They give you a run time of 5 minutes and a note saying they replace the traditional attached (2:30) and enclosed (2:30) trailers. I'm not going to program anything if I don't know what it is.

So I took the trailer package and started winding it down onto an empty reel so that I could identify them. The first trailer is Shrek 4. The second trailer is Avatar the last Airbender. The third trailer is the new JJ Abrams Super 8 thing. This letter enclosed with the print totally leads me to believe that there are only 2 (2:30) trailers in this "package". Now, run time on trailers is not a big concern for me, or my customers, but how many we have can and does get frequent complaints. I used to regularly get people that would count how many were on there and come out and complain if it would pass three or four. So if I programmed this package thinking it was only two trailers and then added another one or two on to it, two only if I felt like pushing the limits of my customers patience, I would have been getting complaints because I would actually have been running five where I thought I only had four, or four where I only thought I had three.

It's stupid I know, and a little thing really to be so annoyed about but don't these people understand that I kind of need to know what I'm programming on this? If Super 8 is anything like Cloverfield its going to be rated R and that's something I get flack for a lot of times, programming trailers for R rated movies on anything but R rated movies. I'll do it in this case but I should really know whats coming so that I can be prepared to deal with any outcry.

It's just shady business. I guess that's nothing new. Thank you film-tech forum for allowing me a place to vent.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2010 08:06 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd worry more about run-time, which you could probably figure out mathematically; with some formula.

Polyester film is I think 2 or 3- 1000s of an inch thick, subtract the diameter of the core and you cna come up with a rough running time.

The smart customers care about trailer TIME. Most chains try to keep it under 15 ish minutes.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2010 09:56 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To get film length in feet (approximately) from the core diameter and outer diameter:

ID = core diameter (inches)
OD = wound film diameter (inches)
k = pi/(48*0.0055)
k = 12 for 0.0055" thick film

L = k (OD^2 - ID^2)

To get the diameter from the length:

OD = sqrt(L/k + ID^2)

To get the running time in minutes from the length in feet:

t = L/90

To get the length from the running time:

L = 90*t

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2010 10:03 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Robert, I knew the OD - ID part, but that and the rest of it is much more concise than the one I had.

So 35mm Estar is actually 5.5mils/thous (~140µm) thick?

Only problem is those damned cheapie plastic "cores" they ship now are often deformed. Anyone know, OTOH, what the circumpherence or diameter of one of them, before they are mangled, is?

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2010 12:50 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, first off, Cloverfield was rated PG-13, not R, so you can stop worrying about that part of your concern.

As for the Super 8 trailer, I don't think it's so much shady business as wanting to keep just a little bit of mystery in this age of over-information. The trailer does a teaser trailer is supposed to do, get you excited over something new while keeping some of the mystery alive.

I know I am intrigued.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2010 01:34 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why there was so much confusion in the combo trailer. We get them attached to prints quite frequently and nobody freaks out. Maybe I just don't get the point about the rant.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-07-2010 01:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Althaus
I don't see why there was so much confusion in the combo trailer.
The confusion was over the contents of the trailer pack. The original note in the can didn't say.

Par did send out an email detailing what was in the trailer pack, and the slip that came in the can DID tell the 5-minute run time.

I have a feeling the content info was supposed to be on the original memo but somebody goofed and it didn't get on there.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2010 01:51 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if you didn't know what was in it, play it through. Thats what I did. All I got annoyed with were the multiple emails and phone calls yesterday about what it was and how to handle it.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2010 03:02 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so here's my beef with this. our trailers are programmed by some higher authority, i don't know exactly who, but each week i get a sheet with an ad/trailer lineup for each film we have. on the trailer list it said "untitled paramount project", to arrive in the cans. now, sometimes, especially with the ads, the title on the list doesn't exactly match what it says on the label, and sometimes it's quite far off, so some guesswork is involved. i pulled this "paramount trailer package" out of the cans and figured it was the best match. we got iron man 2 on all screens and this pushed the trailer count on each print to 7! because of all the locked can bullshit and thursday midnight shows i couldn't pre-screen so we showed excessive trailers to hundreds of people and i had to stay super-late (a 14 1/2-hour shift) and pull those extra trailers off afterwards. and the movie isn't even called "untitled paramount project". it's called super 8. just put the name of the fucking movie on the label already, people.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-08-2010 08:51 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the same trailer schedule as Carl. I decided not to show it, as the trailer schedule listed the running time as 1:30, while the actual running time was clearly much longer.

Part of the problem with these combo trailers is that it is not possble to show them if your trailer policy is to only show trailers for films which are confirmed bookings.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-08-2010 10:31 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Paramount did a good job with this one though, there are green bands at each trailer in the combo as opposed to only one at the beginning. If you had to only run the Super 8 trailer for whatever reason, you would be able to wind through it looking for the green band and separate it.

This as opposed to winding through the green band and not seeing it, meaning by some corporate policy the trailer cannot be shown and goes into the trash.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2010 01:56 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was annoyed as well that the package trailer was not labeled. Fortunately it only took a couple of minutes to see what was on it. My concern is programming two copies of the trailer! All in all a small annoyance in the land of many.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2010 07:09 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anybody else receive a trailer pack comprised only of Super 8. More specifically, the trailer for Super 8 printed exactly the same, three times in a row, and labeled as the Paramount pack. One of the theaters in our company did. They programed it, but realized the mistake when an employee screened it early Friday morning. (We have two prints, but only one sold enough seats for the 12:01 showing).

quote: Paul Looker
Now, run time on trailers is not a big concern for me, or my customers, but how many we have can and does get frequent complaints. I used to regularly get people that would count how many were on there and come out and complain if it would pass three or four.
I refuse to ever program anymore than four trailers . . . and that's even pushing it.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2010 12:56 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cut out the green bands and they didn't do a very good job as shreck and super 8 had no frame lines in the black well air bender did.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-09-2010 02:40 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How shocking that they left off frame lines on something they intended you to never touch and just play as-is... [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: