Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reliable supplier to purchase test film from

Author Topic: Reliable supplier to purchase test film from
Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 03:53 AM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the big guys upstairs don't want to bite the bullet and buy us any test film for booth, so im looking into buying some myself.
(Primarily SMPTE RP40)

Our projectionists tend to mess with the distance adjustment on our scope lenses when they clean them, and i cant quite get the focusing back on par by just counting ceiling tiles.

Anywhere to purchase this?

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 11:59 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would contact Steve Guttag from cardinal Sound and motion picture who isa very reputable dealer and also a valuable forum member. I am sure he can sell you some pa-35 or other test film only issue might be if they have an X amount of feet minimum or not.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-04-2010 12:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Practically every supplier out there does carry your basic test loops for a price per foot.

Find the supplier for your area and ask them, for the "RP-40" screen test film is a common "in stock" item.

good luck-Monte

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-04-2010 02:27 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle, send me a PM or email I can get a loop out to you, just pay the postage.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 03:58 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the UK I heard from a customer trying to get hold of 10' of buzz track (we were out of it at the time, and he needed it urgently).

1 company wouldn't supply him as he is not an account holder with them. Lost business for them but fair enough.

1 company would only sell him 400'.

1 told him buzz track was no longer available, and he should use Cat97 L-R instead [Confused]

In the end he hung on a couple of days until our stock came in.

Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 08:16 PM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's basically been the problem ive ran into so far.
I haven't found any decent sized rolls (smallest was 50')
And since im purchasing it as a consumer, they want to charge me up the [sex] for it.

I PM'd you tony.

Thanks for the help guys.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-04-2010 08:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle...just so you know...35PA IS EXPENSIVE...I believe it is knocking upwards of $3.00+/ft. It is camera original and has a very poor yield due to its precise dimensions.

We tend to use NTAV's target which conforms to RP40 and goes a bit beyond. Likewise with Buzztrack, Tone and Pink Noise.

If you are just looking for a decent target film...JackRoe has one that is FAR less expensive (it is not camera original) and is available in shorter rolls. I wouldn't cut aperture plates to it but for most other things, it is sufficient.

I believe you can buy 35PA from SMPTE directly too via credit card...http://store.smpte.org/category-s/25.htm

Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2010 02:46 AM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured $2- $5 a foot was appropriate.
But the quotes i was getting was putting it at nearly$8-10 a foot with minimum purchases of at least 50'.

Which is overkill in this case.
We only have two projectors i really need to use this on.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-05-2010 06:00 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haddden sells all test film by the foot. We stock nearly everything. Yes, it is challenging to obtain it, but that's why we are here.

Always best if you have an account, but C.O.D. works, too. Louis

Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2010 06:07 AM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guy, for now i'm just getting a small loop from tony.
If the need for any more comes up ill be sure to refer back to this post.

[beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: