Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AW3 Take-up palatter not engaging

Author Topic: AW3 Take-up palatter not engaging
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-03-2010 09:55 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the top deck of one of my AW3 platters which have removable brains. about 95% of the time it works without a problem. Occasionally the take-up arm will not engage at all, other times it won't stop or slow as the take-up arm moves to the column. When this happens, the pay-out arm does not move backward as the take-up arm moves forward.

I realize this is a mechanical issue within the hub, but what specifically should I be looking for?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Christopher
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2010 10:05 PM      Profile for Scott Christopher   Email Scott Christopher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the cam lever.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 12:01 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would check for the little plastic lever that is part of the removable (4 bolts) take-up arm assembly to be broken or the little spring that goes behind it has popped out or been mangled. Also you could have a slipped or loose variable density disk.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-04-2010 02:40 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What they said, and there is a trick to re-engaging that cam, I'm not 100% sure but if I recall you pull the takeup arm to the tree, hold it there, set the feed arm on the brain to full on, release the takeup arm then release the feed arm. You will hear and feel a "click" or "thunk" as the cam re-engages.

It has been years since I had to do that and I don't have a platter on hand to try it out so I could be wrong.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2010 03:33 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I havent done it for a while but what Tony said sounds about right. The only problem with that lever clamp is that it is plastic and is often broken rather than just disengaged. It is not difficult to change out just takes some practice to be able to hold the lever clamp in with the spring while you drop the little shaft in that holds it together.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-12-2010 03:20 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a part number for this piece? I'm not seeing one listed in the manual.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-12-2010 05:13 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin, the cam part that mounts to the shaft with the filter is p/n 192795-002 (It is known as "lever, mounting")

The part that mounts to the take-up arm is p/n 193081-001 (It's called "clamp-lever" in the book.)

The spring for the "clamp-lever" is p/n 515610-028

Christie may have updated these numbers as I am looking it up with an older manual.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: