Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Digital Drop-out Adjustment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby Digital Drop-out Adjustment
Markus Lemm
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2010 04:49 PM      Profile for Markus Lemm   Author's Homepage   Email Markus Lemm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a DA-20 that drops out at some splices, pre-existing or our splices. Using the DRAS I see that when it drops it has more than 4 consecutive unreadable data blocks. Is there a way to change this value to 5 or 6, maybe with a firmware update?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-29-2010 07:53 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't use opaque tape, if you're doing this, or get the narrower width, 3/4" "Splicemark" splicing tape that won't be picked up by the reader since this narrower tape will not block out an entire, 4 sprocket block of the SRD track.

This goes for all SR-D readers - both basement and penthouse readers.

-Monte

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-29-2010 11:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it dropping out at the reel changes? Even with solid yellow opaque tape (was that redundant?) it should not drop out at a reel splice if your equipment is in a good state of repair. But splices between trailers and in the middle of the reel you need to be really careful on how you make the splice, making sure your splicer is adjusted and not chopping things up.

And no, there is no way to increase the amount of unreadable blocks because it would just revert to silence if you did.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-29-2010 11:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What is your typical error rating?

What brand and type of splicing tape are you using?

What kind of splicer are you using, and is it TRULY in proper alignment?

What model Dolby Digital reader do you have?

Something is definitely wrong, as I NEVER have dropouts at splices. Most often I find it is due to lousy splices, but you could have a reader in need of adjusting, or if you have a cat699 or cat700 penthouse it might be time to change the bulb, etc.

Markus Lemm
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2010 09:16 AM      Profile for Markus Lemm   Author's Homepage   Email Markus Lemm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We only use the yellow opaque tape for splicing films running in DTS, the clear stuff for anything SR or SR.D. Typical error rate is about 3 to 5 on trailers and newer films, our Dolby Reader is the DSTR-20 installed about 1 year ago.
Brad you are right about the splicer not being in perfect alignment. I find that I have to hold both sides of the film apart to get undamaged blocks. The splicer does need some work.

My real question is since Dolby Digital is already buffering the sound for my penthouse reader by nearly 3 seconds, couldn't it just compensate by doubling up known blocks so that the sound does not drop when it gets to the damaged area?

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2010 01:22 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When aligning the reader do you use a scope in addition to dras? If not you really should...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-30-2010 01:58 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My one-note mantra: dras is almost useless for alignment. Scope only (plus dras on-the-back-end.) Louis

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2010 04:54 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BACP penthouse usually comes factory pre-alinged and no further adjustment is needed. I would check if you have another DA20 to change the CAT 670 (video aquisition board) to check if the problem moves.
Demetris

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2010 01:42 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is the dstr-20 the penthouse or the basement reader i don't remember?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-01-2010 02:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Penthouse.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2010 02:47 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then it should be factory adjusted perfectly however if something got loose in shipping or someone tried to "make it better" after install it may be out of alignment now. Using a scope is the only way to tell if it is in correct alignment and that you have an adequate video signal level.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2010 03:15 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bacp unit actually comes with the triled indicator. Yellow for excessive , green for adequate and red for Low video level. Factory alingnent is spot on.vmaje sure you have constant tension of reader from platter. A video of the splice passing through might help us more because there is a secret adjustment. Also make sure you thread on the guidelines indicated across the chassis especially at the tensioning rollers.
Demetris

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-01-2010 03:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby Cat 702 has that same indicator with the same colors. I received a replacement LED for one of my DSTR-20's and it is almost always orange/yellow (though sometimes green when film is running). It can't be turned down enough. Plays fine, but I'm sure someday the LED will wear down enough to the point where it is perfect.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-01-2010 06:50 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a LED current adjustment on the DSTR inside the CCD cover.

BACP actually came up with this idea and later Dolby modified their board to do the same Tri-color LED.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-01-2010 07:17 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All current basement readers feature the red/green LED thing too. Also, the CP650 can read out the video level on either its front panel (stupidly, it is in the "installers menu" rather than in the normal menu) or via the set up software where some engineer was thinkin'. The display is HUGE so it is easy to read at a distance.

As for Dras...I suspect, on a CP500 or DA20 system, I could get the reader alignment, including video level just about perfect using only Dras..it would certainly be harder as you are looking at results. On a CP650, I could also probably do it though it would be much harder since I wouldn't have the LEDs on the "corners found" to aid in getting things close, particularly with the LED positioning.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: