Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How to clean or cover up a stain on screen?

Author Topic: How to clean or cover up a stain on screen?
Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2010 09:40 AM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a brown stain on one of our screens, it looks exactly like someone drew lines on it with a brown pencil. It's light but you can see it easily if the picture is light, it bugs me to no end. We're changing the screen, but in the meantime... what do you recommend? It doesn't seem to come off no matter what I do, all I can think of is paint it over. Can that be done? What kind of paint..? Matte, obviously, but is it possible that the wrong kind of paint will damage the screen and only make it worse?

|  IP: Logged

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2010 10:31 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a burger is stain on our screen would like to know how to fix stains also.

-mike

Jussi Siponen
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2010 12:28 PM      Profile for Jussi Siponen   Email Jussi Siponen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elise, my first reaction is: what ever you do, don't paint your screen! That *will* [sex] it beyond salvation. (Or maybe that *is* the point -- at least you will get a new screen then. Smart cookie, this one is [thumbsup] )

Your screen is most likely made by Harkness. This is what they have to say about care and feeding of picture screens:

The general environment where the screen is installed should be kept reasonably clean to avoid dirt and dust build-up. Screens can be periodically cleaned using a soft brush or cloth, doing this vertically with limited pressure. Screens can be cleaned using a damp cloth wetted with water and a mild detergent. Under no circumstances should screens be cleaned with abrasive materials or harsh chemicals such as acids, bleaches or solvents. Harkness Screens is not liable for damage caused to screens through the use of inappropriate cleaning methods or chemicals.

My magic 8-ball says: Outlook not so good.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-29-2010 01:43 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Search for : "What is the best way to clean the screen?" in the Fillm Handler's forum and you'll see many suggestions that ultimately boil down to don't try [Wink]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-29-2010 02:12 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How to clean or cover up a stain on screen
Buy a new screen. Seriously.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2010 03:31 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Voiland
We have a burger is stain on our screen would like to know how to fix stains also.
Stop serving burgers. [puke]

Matt Skilton
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2010 04:56 PM      Profile for Matt Skilton   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Skilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our screens are prone to coca-cola stains (other coke brands also available). I find using a microfibre cloth, the kind used to clean cars with, does the job of removing stains really well. All you need do is soak it in very hot water first, then squeeze it so you get rid of as much water as possible (if it's too damp it might ruin the screen), then wipe the screen over the stain while applying a bit of pressure.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2010 06:18 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matt Skilton
I find using a microfibre cloth, the kind used to clean cars with, does the job of removing stains really well. All you need do is soak it in very hot water first, then squeeze it so you get rid of as much water as possible (if it's too damp it might ruin the screen), then wipe the screen over the stain while applying a bit of pressure.
This is what I do for coke and candy residue. Anything oily, might as well forget it and replace the screen.

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2010 04:42 AM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang. That's what I thought.

Jussi makes me laugh my butt off again, the guy's obviously good at delivering bad news.

The damp microfiber cloth has been tried, even an eraser... did exactly squat, so to say. Will await the new screen then, and in the meantime boil at the dumbass who ruined the old one. I really wish I'd get my hands on that particular individual.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2010 07:28 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish we could just get our screens cleaned. or even get screens for some of our theaters. drywall sucks.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-30-2010 10:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matte white screens can be cleaned to some extent but it also depends largely on what the stain is. Gain screens can never be cleaned without ruining the surface and it's reflective properties. Silver... well, don't even sneeze on one!

It is best to replace a stained or damaged screen. Poor sight conditions will never get you much repeat business...

Mark

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: