Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Excessive film grain

Author Topic: Excessive film grain
John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2010 08:12 PM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having problems with excessive film grain showing up on screen.

We just got done running Green Zone and it looked as if we were projecting a weak broadcast analog signal. Since the first of the year Avatar has been our only print that has been perfect in my opinion. Is it the labs fault, or something I'm doing wrong?

Equipment:

Ballantyne Pro 35

Strong Super Lume-X

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2010 08:26 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing grain tells me you are in focus and have plenty of light.
I would suggest you may have to much light but if Avatar looked good then I would put the blame on film stock.
What is your screen size & what lamp are you running.

Matt Johnston
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2010 08:39 PM      Profile for Matt Johnston   Email Matt Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grain has to do with the ISO that the feature was filmed at.

Basically the grain is what reacts with the light. Large grain will be during dark scenes.

All 2 or 3 prints of Green Zone at our location were this way FWIW.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-15-2010 09:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
grain size is often an "artistic choice" made by the dop during tiing and pre production and is part of the "package"

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2010 09:20 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked on H2, and that was shot on super 16 for that "grainy look"

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2010 12:35 AM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screen is 30' with 2000 watts of light.

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2010 09:39 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is amazing to me that people equate "grain" with "noise."

In my opinion, digital noise looks far far far far worse. The two can hide each other though. . .

I remember "X-Files" gave even analog standard-def. TV compression trouble when they started shooting it all on the now-defunct Vision 800T film stock (it's even worse now with the excessive digital compression they use).

Grain did the softness of "Date Night" good though, and hid the "digital jaggies" pretty well.

I knew it was digital because of all the blown highlights, but the grain softened the harshness of digital down.

Of course, now that nearly 100% of movies are finished digitally via a 2K digital intermediate (2,000 LINES not watts), digital noise is a part of all movies. Again, the copying process helps to hide JPEG jaggies and pixelation after 3 generations of copying though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: