Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS reader with bad LED

Author Topic: DTS reader with bad LED
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-11-2010 12:39 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So we seem to have a DTS reader with a dying or at least really, really tired LED. I checked the voltage (without film) and I got less than half of a volt with the pot all the way up. What should I be getting? I hear it should be closer to 4v?

I assume there is no way to replace the LED in the field? The reader needs to go into the trash? How does one get this fixed and is it crazy expensive?

|  IP: Logged

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2010 03:08 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe think you are right 4volts is correct. probably cheaper to buy new one than fix old one.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-11-2010 05:36 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They can indeed be fixed. Have had it done it several times.

Just send it to Spiro at Intech Pacific here in Sydney. He'll sort it out for you. [Big Grin]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-11-2010 07:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS has an RX program for the readers. Yeah, it isn't cheap but it is cheaper than a new reader but it is like getting a new reader. They replace the worn parts (rollers), the LED and, most importantly, they replace the whole LED control circuit such that you won't need to fool with it again for a long-long time...there is no adjustment anymore, it auto levels.

Steve

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-11-2010 11:42 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Around $600 is the cost of this?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-11-2010 12:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably closer to half of that.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2010 01:46 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe-
I had the same problem last December.

International Cinema/Magnetech in Florida will swap
out your DTS reader with a re-bulit/re-calibrated &
fully guaranteed DTS reader for only $200.00 when you
send them your old one.

I didn't want to wait for the DTS readers to make the round
trip, so you can also send them 400bux, which is what I did,
and they'll ship you one right away. As soon as they
get your old one they will credit your credit card or
Paypal account for the extra $200. They're really fast
& will issue your refund as soon as they get your old
DTS reader.

You can reach them at 305 573 7339

PS I hate to pick nits, but I don't think it's the LED voltage
you're meeasuring when you adjust the DTS reader to "4 Volts".

I beleive what you're actually measuring at the test points
is the output of the DTS "image sensor". You can confirm this
by blocking the light path while taking the voltage reading.
It will drop to "O" or close to it. If you were measuring the
actual voltage across the LED, it would remain constant no
matter if the light path was blocked or not.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-11-2010 03:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, of course, since the test points are not even anywhere near the LED.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-11-2010 03:40 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you really measure it with no film? 0.5V is really low. We did have some success replacing the current-limiting resistor with a pot and jacking it up. After all, might as well get all the useful life out of it before we have DTS replace it.

Oh, also, the best way to calibrate DTS is with audio and your ears! (Think buzz track). Much easier than watching a DVM or a scope. We set up our rack so you can patch the DTS audio into the booth monitor speakers and listen to it. This is great for those shrunken DTS prints (not very many of them, dts isn't that old, but we've seen a few!). I'll post some pics and soforth when I get a round tuit.

--jhawk

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-11-2010 04:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At first I measured with film and then I took the whole thing over to the bench and measured without film. There really wasn't much of a difference, but it won't see most timecode. I was able to get it working on Crazy Heart, but some reels kept dropping out. But most prints it refuses to see any timecode.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2010 04:57 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the LED. Is it dim compaired to LEDs in other DTS readers? If not, then clean the LED and the lens. Make sure that the LED has not been "wacked" out of alignment. The solar cell could be bad, even the op amp could be bad. Try swaping the reader with another.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-11-2010 05:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could, but this is our sole reader. The LED lights up but I have nothing to compare it to.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-11-2010 07:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For our own theatres ia have found a replacement LED that out performes the original but is only available in quantity and is not easy to replace

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2010 08:41 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, do you have more info on where one can go to learn more about this RX program? I have a couple DTS units with bad LEDs.

Thanks.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-11-2010 08:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rebuild them Joe... And my LED has longer life than theirs. I charge $100.00 flat to do it... well ok, for you a discount.... just $99.00 flat. Anyone charging $200.00 for this is raping you. I also guarantee the rebuilt reader for a year. In most cases the bearings and scanner drum are ok. If the scanner drum flanges are worn excessively then it has to go through an RA at DTS. I've done well over 50 of them... But no kidding... the new readers are really nice, track better, and never need adjustment.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: