Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Alpha Platter Slow Speed on one deck on pay out and rewing

Author Topic: Strong Alpha Platter Slow Speed on one deck on pay out and rewing
Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2010 07:26 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange thing. The payout and take up on a Strong Alpha Platter (Phase Control with 4 position selector knob) is slow, BUT on build up I can go at top speed if I want to with out a problem. Thought it was the motor, obviously its not. Looking at the schematic, the only thing that isn't universal is the selector knob. The weird thing is, its on payout and take up that is slow, but build up works just fine. Any thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2010 08:00 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try moving the motor in relation to the deck as per the timing instructions.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2010 09:49 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it seemed to have something to do with the switch. Its working now

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-08-2010 06:51 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That switch is funky; never saw anything like it anyplace else...

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2010 12:16 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On some models there is a resistor or diode to slow the rewind deck to allow the payout deck to spin faster this could be part of your issue.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-08-2010 03:40 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernie, get a replacement switch on hand and change it..the contacts in the one used now are going bad and they will eventually burn up and leave you dead in the water.

Or get a Christie AW3 and solve the problem for good. [Smile]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-08-2010 07:02 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This from Bob Potts. . . . Remove knob, chuck shaft in variable speed drill and run at medium speed for 30 seconds. Works every time. It is impossible to wear out that switch; has ball bearings for contacts. I have had this work 100% of the time.

I'm talking about the switch made from Tupperware. Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-08-2010 11:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, all my switches are made from normal plastic.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-09-2010 12:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
I always knew there was another life for recycled Tupperware!

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-09-2010 01:23 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
So that explains why my platters at the Grande in Downtown L.A. would burp all the time!! [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: