Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Frame marking of Technicolor 3D prints

Author Topic: Frame marking of Technicolor 3D prints
Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-04-2010 10:32 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you look at the films scanned in on another topic, you will see 2 dots that define the frame line and a bar that means "do not cut here." This assists splicing so that the left eye and right eye don't reverse.

I think this is a truly WONDERFUL idea. This should be extended to ALL prints of all titles. Finding the frame in a sea of darkness/confusion would end in one day. Louis

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2010 11:28 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis-
I was just discussing the exact same topic with a fellow projectionist last night and we were saying the same thing.

One of the really great things about the way they've done it is that the frame markings are visable even "in the black", so if you have a reel with a fade out or a really dark scene at the head or tail, it almost eliminates the possibility that you'll make a mis-framed splice when assembling a print unless you're really lame.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2010 11:47 AM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since no one reads or pays attention to seemingly anything that doesn't entail their lives at stake, this seems like a wasted concept to those who might build the show up correctly, but end up projecting it two-perfs out and not knowing what the hell they did.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-04-2010 12:57 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

The picture from the other thread, originally uploaded by Jim Cassedy.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-04-2010 02:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Since no one reads or pays attention to seemingly anything that doesn't entail their lives at stake, this seems like a wasted concept to those who might build the show up correctly,
Oh, I dunno about this - If a cinema is going to prime themselves up for this form of presentation, I'm pretty sure that operation personnel will be more in strict accordance to follow the rules on film assemblies simply due to that if the print wasn't built correctly, that's a whole house refund that takes place due to the film will be deemed unplayable..and the nasty dung ball, where-ever it comes from, will roll over those in charge.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-04-2010 04:05 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good, doesn't it? Louis

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2010 06:18 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This would have been really nice to have last night when I had a malfunction of my automation on Hot Tub Time Machine. The projector stopped, but the lamp stayed on with c/o open and burned the film in a lengthy dark scene and just my luck my flashlight batteries went dead after only a few seconds (rechargeables).

For expediency, I ended up just cutting out the 12 sprocket holes (3 frames worth) containing the burnt/bubbled film (not knowing for sure if it was actually cut on a frame line and splicing 2 different scenes together ), clear splicing it and getting the picture back on screen. I also wasn't sure if I got it threaded back in frame, but I did. [Smile]

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2010 09:51 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is coming back to the sensible days when the film stock had a mark between sprocket holes every four perfs.
With multiple sound tracks on today's prints, that isn't practical, but Technicolor is to be commended if they expand this new marking to all prints, regardless of format.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-05-2010 02:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
T3D's markings would seep into the picture area of real movies. It only works for T3D movies. But the area between the perfs on the non-soundtrack side are completely available. A dot on every frameline would suffice.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-05-2010 03:24 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
film will be deemed unplayable
If the frame line was accidently cut and spliced on the L/R divider line a simple two sprocket adustment with the framing knob would correct the issue of the 3-D not playing correctly so it can still be playable with a framing adjustment.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 04-11-2010 06:50 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pale magenta frame markings a la Eastman and Fuji stock idents can still be used to mark frames.

Not that the outside-perf area is used all that much now that SDDS is dead anyway, so there is a prime place for frame marking. The magenta markings wont be read by the readers.

Failing that, use the AGFA method of frame marking with an amber ident that is not visible to Dolby Digital readers either.

And the labs can do us all a favour and put frame lines on heads, tails, trailers and studio logos. Makes life so much easier and just that little bit more fool-proof.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2010 08:39 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
T3D's markings would seep into the picture area of real movies. It only works for T3D movies.
Joe are you still going on about the Terminator 3D ??? [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: