Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » XPenD 3-D now in Honolulu

Author Topic: XPenD 3-D now in Honolulu
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-31-2010 07:26 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend Alan Sakaida at Reading International's Consolidated Theatres in Hawaii told me this morning that his company had just installed a XpanD 3-D Digital system in one of their four large auditoriums at the Wad Sradium 16 in house #8 in Honolulu. Alan told me the system does not require a silver screen like Dolby 3-D and like IMAX 3-D , it is a two projection system. It was just installed and they now now showing ALICE IN WONDERLAND with the system. Alan said the 3-D picture quality is awesome.

Alan also told me his company has been very busy installing Technicolor 3-D in three additional theatres here on Oahu at Kapolei, Pearlridge and the Koko Marina and will show CLASH OF THE TITANS with the new system. The Kopolei and the Pearlridge already have a Dolby 3-D auditorium. Another house, the Koolau just got Technicolor 3-D last week and opened with HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON. When Alan first heard about the 3-D film system, he thought it was going to suck but was very impressed when he saw a demonstration at the recent Showwest.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-31-2010 07:44 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like ExpanD, Dolby 3D does not require a silver screen.

It does benefit from a gain screen as the light loss is high. It can be done with one projector or two

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-31-2010 11:00 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

According to what Alan Sakaida told me today, a new screen was installed and I think he said it was a Gain Screen. The Ward projects XpanD digital 3-D with two projectors so loss of light should not be too much of a problem

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: