Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Aperture Plate File (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Aperture Plate File
Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2010 01:16 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where I can order a good file to use on aperture plates? Someplace where I could order online or over the phone with a credit card would be preferred.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-24-2010 01:24 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lavezzi Machine works sells them, I don't have the web addy handy but you can find them on Google search.

Be ready to spend some money though they are expensive.

I strongly suggest you get their trap alignment gauge (I think it's part # AG-1) to check alignment of film trap lateral guide rollers and the intermittant sprocket. Worth it's weight in gold for helping to eliminate image weave and film damage.

The steel film is handy for checking the film path and aligning outboard readers, film cleaners and reel arms.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2010 01:47 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use an auger bit file for about $10 - the edges are triangular so you can get into the corners easy and alternating surfaces do not have teeth on them so you can file into a corner without messing the adjacent edge up.

Link to one online store

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2010 01:48 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Thanks Tony!

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 03-24-2010 02:18 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once lost my aperture file so I ransacked the partner's beauty case where I found a diamond stainless nail file that is perfect for the job.

Because the cutting surface is industrial diamond, and the file is broad and flat, filing apertures is a snap...

... and if the better half threatens murder undignified, you can buy these nail files for a dollar or two at discount shops.

Good filing [thumbsup]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-24-2010 02:27 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second the recommendation for the Lavezzi files. I spent way too long working with cheesy hardware-store files (ever tried cutting a silent plate with those?) before breaking down and spending the $$$ on the Lavezzi files. It's a night-and-day difference.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-24-2010 04:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPortalWeb/WebSource/ProductDisplay/globalProductDetailDisplay.do?item_code=NCH00258

this is what we use up here it can't be beat

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2010 04:30 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the suggestions. I went with the Lavezzi. I love thier website you can order almost any projector part for a century/simplex machine it's great!

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2010 04:32 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use precision files from Ace Hardware. Work great for me. There's even one in there that has a smooth edge for cutting those crisp corners. I had a tech with Regal that used jewelers' files.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-24-2010 05:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you know Sean...any LaVezzi dealer can sell you LaVezzi stuff for less than the on-line store. I don't know about others, but WE take credit cards.

Steve

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2010 06:07 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats great Steve... in the future I will do my shopping on-line and order through you [Wink] Does cardinal sound have a website?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-24-2010 07:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please note...that was not a sales pitch for us, in particular...just an example.

We do have a very laughably bad web site...I call it a place holder. It is one of those "get to" things.

We still work the old fashion way...phone (and email for me).

Note, many manufacturers have web stores...generally, however, you are paying full-tilt list.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-24-2010 07:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I've ever used for 32 years is the LaVezzi file and a nibbling tool. Sometimes a step drill helps out if you are starting with a pinhole aperature... which I happen to prefer... There are other tool places that sell an almost exact replica of the LaVezzi file... for alot more $$$

Note: I have tried many other technicians gimmiky file sets and always ended up finding out why they couldn't cut a clean hole... I always ended up runnning for my LaVezzi!

quote: Steve Guttag
Please note...that was not a sales pitch for us, in particular...just an example.
Why not... yous guys are ok... A small sales pitch once in a while is fine by me!!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-24-2010 10:34 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Total agreement with Mark on LaVezzi files.

And PLeeesee buy through your local dealer. He makes a buck and you save money, too. Louis

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-24-2010 11:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What projector is this for? If it is for a Christie, Target (and probably Wal-Mart) sells a nail file by Revlon with a fine and course alternating sides for about $2 that works miracles with the Christie apertures. They work pretty decent for the Strong stuff as well, but if you are doing something like Kinoton forget it.

Regardless of the type of aperture, there is a particular type of file that is an absolute must for getting nice square corners and for getting perfect smoothing. I don't know who makes it, but I have always picked them up from American Cinema Equipment. (For all I know this is a Lavezzi file.) I'll have to get a picture of it when I am back in town. If I think about it I'll get a picture of some sample apertures with the masking open and no film in the gate to show you the capabilities of this file.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: