Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Platter continuously reverse wraps (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Platter continuously reverse wraps
Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2010 02:55 AM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As all booths do, I have one platter that loves messing with me, the top platter will occasionally (once every 2 weeks) backwrap as the control arm in the brain gets stuck forward and keeps the platter turning until it back wraps. We've tried replacing the microswitch because we thought it was getting stuck, but that was no good.

Now i'm sitting with a useless top platter and wondering what to do.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-24-2010 03:23 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are your decks level? get a bubble level and put it across and in line with the tower, for an off-level deck will cause the arm to not work correctly. Also, is the microswitch breaking connection when the arm is dead inbetween those two outer diameter rollers? For if it's opening late, this can also cause backwrap.

And you adjust the whole microswitch and don't bend the tang, plus the spring under the tang has to be gone.

What about other brains mounted in this one deck? Do they act up the same way? Or, is your units solid mount brains?

I've shimmed, or adjusted the feet of many platter decks up to level.

-Monte

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2010 03:39 AM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will check how level the decks are when I go in tomorrow, I do know that they are all warped. Old theater and A certain company before mine didn't focus on presentation or projection training. The system has solid mount brains.

I'm pretty positive it has nothing to do with the microswitch, however the problem seems to never occur when I am working, and it can't be narrowed down to one person either. For now we aren't using the platter and even when we were I couldn't replicate the issue whenever I threaded it, so it's being very difficult indeed.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-24-2010 04:14 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Top platter?? Probably misthreaded by short person.

The giveaway is that it is always the top platter AND it does not happen to you. Louis

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2010 04:32 AM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
haha, unfortunately it happened with 2 others that are taller than I am.

Plus, I can't just kick short people out of booth can I?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-24-2010 05:27 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't even mention what kind of equipment you are working with. That would go a long way towards a solution.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-24-2010 05:58 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ageed.

A long way...

quote: Manny Montes
Plus, I can't just kick short people out of booth can I?

No, they'll kick you in the ankles.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 03-24-2010 06:29 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... or bite your toes off. [eyes]

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2010 09:51 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am guessing Strong / Potts platters with a fixed brain.... We have a few of those that like to cause trouble.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2010 12:28 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Top platter?? Probably misthreaded by short person.
Oh really? I had the same problem on a bottom platter deck
caused by tall people threading who were too lazy to bend
all the way over to check their work. [Wink]

But seriously- - check the platter deck level as others
have suggested. Especially if it's a STRONG platter.
They seem to be pretty picky about any degree of tilt.

I had the same problem till I found mine was off level.

Curiously, I have at least one which works better when
it's NOT level. I've never figured out why and I don't
intend to. I have an "If it works, don't muck with it"
attitude about this one. It works great when the back
(column) end is slightly elevated in relation to the
other two legs. But if I "level" it, like the others,
it gives me all kinds of problems. Go figure. . . .

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2010 12:35 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you actually witnessed the control arm sticking and causing the wrap, or do you just happen to catch it after its wrapped enough times it wont move?

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2010 12:46 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never caught it myself even, others just told me that its wrapping and its because the arm is sticking. Its only a 5 plex so we never have a "dedicated projectionist" to stay in booth all day (shame really), they would catch it after the failsafe has cut the show.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-24-2010 01:13 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple solution: Replace that Strong piece of [bs] with a Christie AW3R. [Smile]

Good used ones can be had for around $500

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2010 01:14 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is an old Potts, you may want to check the bearings in the post of the arm. If they are bad, they will prevent the smooth movement of the arm. They may need to be replaced. I have had occasion to do this.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2010 01:28 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me, I wish I could replace a lot of things in our booth, however I'm constrained by a megacorporation. We've had a blown amp for 2-3 months now, still no replacement...

I'll check that the bearings are ok, considering the age of the platter that might be it as well

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: