Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AC Ripple in IREM N3

Author Topic: AC Ripple in IREM N3
Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2010 03:09 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have in IREM N3 power supply that is exhibiting symptoms of high AC ripple. My plan is to replace all 6 diodes and the output capacitor (c7 on the diagram). Is this a good starting point? Someone suggested I consider the RA board as a trouble spot as well, is this suggestion correct?

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-22-2010 03:23 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Having done a shitload of dual projector 570 & 870 3D installs, I usually used the IREM N3's cuz one can easily adjust for equal left-eye and right-eye screen brightness via the hand wheel.

BUTT! They are basically a shitty PS cuz of the HIGH RIPPLE. I always had to use the auxiliary filter choke accessory to control it....you might look into that.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2010 03:47 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will check that out Phil but this issue just started and it is a 2 machine changeover set-up and the other machine isn't showing the same slight strobing. I should add it is connected to a Super 80 on a simplex 1040 with a three blade shutter. We are running 4k lamps @ 140 Amperes.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-22-2010 10:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are really getting ripple (and the lamp will show it on the anode), I would definitely change the Caps (Irem normally stacks several smaller caps). If you have N3 and not N3Xs...then you will likely find 4 caps forming the main filter with another cap used for boost. In the past 7-years, I've had 2 or three shoot their cookies in Irem N3s.

I agree that the Aux filter is a good thing to have in the Irems...the N3-150 and above come with it, standard.

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-23-2010 07:02 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IREMs are well known for ripple which is normally not harmful in that design.

I have never changed out an IREM capacitor, although I have in alomst every other brand.

What I do find in IREM is that the 6 diodes must absolutely match or you will get the sympton you describe. (I never changed all six in my life until I found how touchy this is in IREM.) Louis

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-23-2010 09:29 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a capacitor failure with this model, with me in the room.

Lots of white smoke, and amazingly, a picture was still on the screen when the dust settled.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2010 11:07 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I am getting is a very slight pulsing. This was after installing a new lamp, I tried the old lamp and it is still there. It is really not that noticeable but I want to rectify it before it gets worse. I really suspect it is a diode issue I just figured I should cover my bases and switch out the cap as well.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-23-2010 01:37 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I want to rectify it before it gets worse.
Now that's funny. [Big Grin]

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2010 01:48 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: