Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Unveils 7.1 Channel Sound for Cinemas - Premiering with Toy Story 3 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14 

Author Topic: Dolby Unveils 7.1 Channel Sound for Cinemas - Premiering with Toy Story 3
Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-21-2010 02:43 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
LAS VEGAS, Mar 16, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- At ShoWest 2010, Dolby Laboratories, Inc. announced it is working with Walt Disney Pictures® and Pixar® Animation Studios to deliver a new audio format, Dolby® Surround 7.1. Disney® and Pixar have stated that Dolby Surround 7.1 will be launched in select theatres with the release of Toy Story® 3 in 3D this June.

"For 40 years Dolby has not only provided content creators with the tools to create a more realistic audio experience, but has also enabled the exhibitor to deliver audiences the ability to experience the content as the creator intended," said Page Haun, Senior Director, Marketing, Cinema Market Segment, Dolby Laboratories. "The release of Toy Story 3 in a discrete 7.1 mix will raise the bar for movie theatre owners and their patrons."

Dolby Surround 7.1 brings a more exciting sensory experience to audiences for 2D and gives content creators control over audio placement in a theatre when mixing 3D movies. The ability to compose audio with visual elements of 3D allows content creators to immerse the audience deeper into the movie with dramatic realism.

Dolby Surround 7.1 provides content creators four surround zones to better orchestrate audio channels in a movie theatre environment. The four surround zones incorporate the traditional Left Surround and Right Surround with new Back Surround Left and Back Surround Right zones. The addition of the two Back Surround zones enhances directionality in panning 360 degrees around the theatre.

Dolby Surround 7.1 format comprises 8 channels of audio and has the following channel layout: Left, Center, Right, Low-Frequency Effects (LFE), Left Surround, Right Surround, Back Surround Left (new), and Back Surround Right (new). In order for exhibitors to deliver the new format, Dolby will be providing Dolby Surround 7.1 playback capabilities in the Dolby CP650 and Dolby CP750 digital cinema audio processor lines.

At ShoWest, Dolby is demonstrating to exhibitors a discrete 7.1 mixed demo reel of past Pixar movies to showcase the advanced audio solution. After the show, exhibitors will be able to access the content to test and demonstrate in their theatres.

Exhibitors interested in learning more about Dolby Surround 7.1 should contact their nearest Dolby reseller or Dolby sales office.

Original Source

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-21-2010 02:46 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big whoop..another way for exhibitors to waste money like EX was.. [Roll Eyes]

Too many theatres have such poor acoustics and/or are too narrow/small to really benefit from the extra channels.

But Dolby has to keep their name out there somehow I suppose...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-21-2010 03:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the cost on this is VERY minimal. Especially, if they already have surround EX. The Dcinema servers can handle it and any 8-channel cinema processors (most nowadays) can handle it.

It is a matter of wiring channels 11 and 12 from the server to the appropriate inputs of the cinema processor (firmware updates for the CP650 and CP750 are coming out to allow for this format).

Steve

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-21-2010 07:12 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's very difficult to get excited by this after the disaster that was EX.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-21-2010 07:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Almost as good as the home! At least now home releases won't need to be remixed to take advantage of 7.1, so I view this as a good thing.

Any word if film will be compatible?

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2010 07:38 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have inquired with Disney as to whether they would be interested in making the 7.1 mix available for theaters with XD10 or XD20 players, as they are capable of 8 channel playback. Their response was negative, as they see the 7.1 as a logical enhancement to the 3-D digital presentation.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-21-2010 08:18 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another gimmick to get theatres to spend a few thousand dollars on a sound format that will turn up on a handful of movies before going away.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-21-2010 08:27 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daniel Schulz
We have inquired with Disney as to whether they would be interested in making the 7.1 mix available for theaters with XD10 or XD20 players, as they are capable of 8 channel playback. Their response was negative, as they see the 7.1 as a logical enhancement to the 3-D digital presentation.
Might also have something to do with them announcing this as a format they worked on with Dolby...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-21-2010 09:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not understand what this could have to do with 3D in any way. That's like saying they will saturate the color blue a bit more thanks to 3D.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-21-2010 10:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My reaction to this announcement is very mixed.

I see one positive side to it in that "Dolby Surround 7.1" in theaters may lead to many more movies featuring 7.1 audio and the 7.1 capability of Blu-ray getting much more use.

On the negative side: Digital cinema currently has uncompressed Linear PCM set as the standard audio format. Is Dolby looking to replace that with a lossy compressed format just to add two audio channels (and a Dolby brand)? Digital cinema can already support 8 channel playback in LPCM. The problem is no movie studio has bothered to take advantage of it. Maybe one problem is the generic sort of vibe LPCM carries.

I don't know how this new Dolby 7.1 format could be worked into being compatible with 35mm film systems unless Dolby came up with a new film reader and used the right side of the film strip to add more Dolby Digital data. The current 35mm SR•D system is so compressed as it is matters would be worsened if two more audio channels were squeezed into the same limited area of space.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2010 01:20 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At Cine Expo they showed to private sessions some tryouts of something which I am not sure this is the result of. What they did show us was a system capable of. Left/Centre/Right... Left High Speaker (located at the left high of screen), Right High Speaker (located at the right high of screen), Left Surround, Back left Surround, Back Right Surround, Right Surround and Overhead!! Quite a lot of channels don't you think. I can't say I was impressed then although it was a small meeting room which suffers a lot from accoustics.
Demetris

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-22-2010 06:08 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The number of channels keeps growing and growing, yet the poor patrons still only have two ears. Guess it's time to encourage them to get with the Disney program and grow that extra set of ears in the back of their heads so they can properly hear 4 channels behind them.

Seems to me, the marketing value of this format is a big zero. The public is weary of all this additional hype about different sound systems. Ask your average moviegoer if they even know what EX sound is, or more importantly, if they care. Now yet ANOTHER sound format....more rear channels? To what purpose? And what's this obsession with REAR channels? How come the FRONT channels never get enhancement? Or is this just so Disney can claim they have "Disney" sound?

Is this something that will ONLY be used on Disney releases? "Disney Sound(c)," like "Disney 3D(tm)" (the Rodent has always been obsessed about slapping its copyright and trademark symbol on just about everything)?

Is the logo going to be the Double-Dee for Dolby and sitting on top of it, the Disney Mouse Ears....7 of them?

DISNEY 7.1 SOUND.....here's the public: [Roll Eyes]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-22-2010 07:21 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
On the negative side: Digital cinema currently has uncompressed Linear PCM set as the standard audio format. Is Dolby looking to replace that with a lossy compressed format just to add two audio channels (and a Dolby brand)? Digital cinema can already support 8 channel playback in LPCM. The problem is no movie studio has bothered to take advantage of it. Maybe one problem is the generic sort of vibe LPCM carries.

I doubt if they'd go to a compressed format for this. The interface between digital cinema servers and sound processors is normally in the form of four AES pairs,and so can handle eight channels already. The extra disk space required for the two additional channels would be quite a small amount in terms of the total size of combined picture and sound. If you wanted to combine this with five screen channels then you'd need some major changes to get the extra AES pair. I still wish the AES had defined a standard for multi-channel sound with everything going through the same wires in uncompressed form; it shouldn't have been difficult.

quote: Bobby Henderson
I don't know how this new Dolby 7.1 format could be worked into being compatible with 35mm film systems unless Dolby came up with a new film reader and used the right side of the film strip to add more Dolby Digital data. The current 35mm SR•D system is so compressed as it is matters would be worsened if two more audio channels were squeezed into the same limited area of space.
There's room for more than is actually used, hence Dolby being able to fit in the totally useless logo in the centre of each block. I doubt that eliminating that would be enough to accommodate two extra full-range channels though.

James Robertson
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2010 07:33 AM      Profile for James Robertson   Email James Robertson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More audio chanels. Spare may please. I'm fed up being blasted out of my seat with the deafening existing systems at my local cinema complex (Hoyts) My wife and I now wear earplugs lightly to bring the level down to something bearable.
Avatar was a good example of the thunderous sound levels being pumped out particularly on music and effects. I was a professional sound recordist for thirty years so know a bit about sound levels.
Ask to turn the wick down a bit. Surely you jest.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2010 08:21 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately most theaters are NOT properly equalised. Intelligibility is down to very little since I have heard many times of theaters being eq by ear only! That causes someone to boost the centre in order to 'theoreticaly' increase inteligibility and it leads to the crap cinema audio you hear at your average theater.
Demetris

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: