Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hearing Assist -- FM vs IR

Author Topic: Hearing Assist -- FM vs IR
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-19-2010 05:15 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We need to reinstall a Hearing Assist system in our large house. Problem with the original IR system was that it had tons of dead-spots, even though ugly IR transmitters were placed around the walls, the coverage lacked uniformity. To compound the problem, it is a slope floor, not a stadium in the orchestra so the receiver could easily be blocked by the person sitting in front, especially when cloats and such are hung on the seats.

This time we are looking into an FM type system as well. It would seem that these are much easier to install (simple antenna mounting in only one place and they claim 3000ft coverage) and no problem with line-of-sight issues. On the other hand, it is RF and with that can come some pretty serious transmission interference. However, my understanding is that since the FCC reallocated radio frequencies for specific commercial useage, the cross traffic stepping on each other is much less of a problem these days.

Does anyone have any experience with an FM being used theatrically? Anyone know of theatres that use the RF type instead of IR and what do you think of it. We would like to be able to talk to an end-user to hear their practical experience with such a system.

I am thinking there must be a reason why so many use IR as opposed to RF, but as far as simplicity goes, the FM transmission seems to win hands down, not to mention that it is much cheaper that IR in terms of installation. That 3000ft coverage figure seems a bit high to me and any time a manufacture claims transmission distance, I always figure halving that number would probably be more accurate. Still 1500ft would be more than enough for what we need.

Here is one of the systems are looking at: ListenTech FM Hearing Assist System

Thanks for any ideas about this.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-19-2010 07:37 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check into the Sennheiser units. They have one radiator that can really fill a large area.

the USL IR units are real good as well. Large spaces needs only two emitters.

Tricks with large areas is to have the IR emitters above and in front of the audience in the corners of the room angling down to the center of the room.

Or, two emitters mounted high and center of the room with each emitter angling down and out to the middle edge of the room.

FM can get into probs with the simple case of multiple receivers assigned on the required frequency along with those milliwatt transmitters broadcasting where they want to along with drifting issues.

I've dealt with the Gertner FM units and even though they're not too bad, but issues with receivers having to use regular headphones and the maintenance issue in this spectrum, whereas the IR self contained receiver units - just replacing the batteries is the only maintanence needed.

Good Luck - Monte

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-19-2010 07:51 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would do a site survey on the frequencies you're considering. You never know what the noise floor is like, and in Brooklyn you're more likely to have random interference than many other places.

--jhawk

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-19-2010 11:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FM is great for 1 or 2 screens. You must not mix the receivers.

IR works for multiplexes; any receiver will work in any room. The kiddos who hand out receivers can't screw up. Louis

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-20-2010 10:36 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason the USL units work so well is the headphones are purpose built for movies and the receiver is on top of the headphone and less likely to be shaded by hats, coats, etc.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2010 11:04 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IR based Hearing Assist or Translation systems (basically the same thing) can pickup interference from Fluorescent light as well as plasma emmition (this is not your case) I found during my installs that placing two emmiters (one on top left and other on top right) of a room are the best way to go and you have complete coverage. Judging from the USL line and experience in cinema applications I recon their system would be the best solution. I had a situation of a theater where the RF receivers of the wireless microphones were picking up nearby taxi service!!
Demetris

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-20-2010 01:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One issue with IR systems is interference from Daylight or CFL light fixtures

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2010 01:22 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We been using Williams Sound transmitters/receivers and haven't had too many problems. Every once in a while we used to pick up a nearby tv station audio. [Confused] Haven't noticed it since the switch to digital.

Bob Peticolas
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2010 01:49 PM      Profile for Bob Peticolas   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have used both Nady and Telex FM systems with no problems. With the transmitter just sitting on top of the audio rack, the theatre is covered plus about 1/2 block out side of the theatre. I would not use the 72-76 mhz systems, too much interference. Go with the 216 mhz or higher systems, their range isn't a great thus the interference is less. With an antenna just outside the booth window, your auditorium will be covered up to 300 or so feet.

Plugging a receiver into a small amplifier or PA system gives you a monitor that can be place anywhere to listen to the theatre's sound with no wiring. Ideal for lobby sound or special events outside of the theatre itself.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: