Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » IPC Type KS Projector Motor questions

Author Topic: IPC Type KS Projector Motor questions
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2010 06:06 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got type KS motors from International Projector Corporation attached to SH-1000s.

Couple of questions... the manual says to give each of the two "grease cups" a 1/2 turn monthly. This iteration of the motor does not have cups, but standard injection nipples. Anyone know what 1/2 turn would mean in terms of volume?

Oddity question... the motor has a flywheel guard with an reservoir that drains via a petcock. What the heck is it for? Was the outlet of the valve somehow attached to the sound head to fill the latter?

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-15-2010 06:29 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David:

The grease equivalant would be one pump of a standard grease gun.

And that reservoir and valve were there to catch the oil from the projector head..the Supers and E7's had a metal catch plate that mounted between the projector and sound head to direct the oil to that reservoir.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-15-2010 11:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the motor was rebuilt almost every modern motor shop would have replaced them with sealed bearings

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2010 11:58 AM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, thanks for the info.

Nice to know the reservoir is vestigial. I figured it had to be a catch basin, but wasn't sure what it would be catching. [Wink]

Gordon, I'm pretty sure these haven't been rebuilt, given the condition everything is in. I've got an SH-1000 and motor out being rebuilt now. I'll have to find out how they're handling the bearings.

-David

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2010 07:26 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably a good idea to replace both bearings with shielded and carefully clean the old grease out. Remove the grease cups and replace with plugs.
Dick

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-16-2010 08:28 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea, Dick. I turn the motors over so that the holes are on the bottom after removing the unnecessary grease.

In my life, I've never seen that motor with something other than sealed bearings. Much grease, however. The grease being the main reason that the motor failed. Louis

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2010 07:23 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dick Prather
Probably a good idea to replace both bearings with shielded and carefully clean the old grease out. Remove the grease cups and replace with plugs.
Dick

Hmmm, is this something a person with good mechanical skills can do? Or should I leave it to the pros? I wouldn't touch in any case until my 2nd SH-1000 and motor are back in-house.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-20-2010 10:33 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, not a difficult task, but one best left to a motor shop, they will have the proper shims on hand to get excess end play out of the rotor assembly, and can make sure the rotor is dead center in the field, critical to prevent hot spot damage to the windings.

That said, I have done it myself with good results.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: