Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Picture flicker on V5 with Zenith X2000H (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Picture flicker on V5 with Zenith X2000H
Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2010 06:13 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one booth with changeovers, both Cinemeccanica Victoria 5 with 1600W xenon @55A screen is 8m wide in scope, when running without motor light is great and no flicker, when running with motor there is flicker in screen, not big, but still noticeable...was thinking on diodes, but than it would be fading in/out and not so fast, and is same on booth projectors, shutters are perfectly in sync as there is no stretching over picture or so. Rectifiers are 3phase with choke on output to reduce AC ripple, and I doubt is anything with them as they did work in one house before and it was okay, even i could check ac ripple.

So was think of shutter on V5 is maybe made with small open or something, as I head from friend he did have some problem with shutter on V5's?

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-14-2010 06:29 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd look at having the shutter gearbox replaced. It's a common issue with V5's.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2010 06:48 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shutter box? Hmmmm...but same problem, with same level of problem on both.....and shutter gear it seams to run fine, without any noise or so? Why you think on that, wear gears inside or?

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2010 06:52 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marin,

You stated that the flicker is in BOTH machines. Did it start at the same time? That would not point to mechanical problems.

There is NO flicker when just white light and no shutter in the light path.

The flicker is seen when the machine is running and there is NO film in the gate.

Does the flicker appear when a film is being projected?

Is the flicker noticed only in the brighter parts of the scene? (Like the sky in outdoor scenes)

How many blades are on the shutter, 2 or 3? Running white light with a 2 blade shutter can cause visible flicker also excessive image brightness can cause it.

Depending on the frequency of your 3 phase power source, the pulsing from a diode or phase failure could also be easily seen as flickering. By all means check out the ripple on the DC to the arc.

Hope this is helpful.

KEN

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2010 07:02 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When projector is not running there is no flicker, just white light on screen, when is running there is flicker, also when is running with film, but then you can see it only on white sceens.
I don't think brightness is too high, as there is 55A on 8m wide screen. This machine were used allready, even don't know did this was before.....now it is, and same on both, even I don't think is soem phase or diode failure as there is same on both, and rectifiers are okay. Shutter is 2 blade type here.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 03-14-2010 07:07 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the above...

...and also if the flicker is constant in frequency, as in 24 beats per second (assuming a 2 blade shutter) I would check the flicker blade on the shutter to make sure no holes have been burned in the blade.

Seeing the problem is occurring on BOTH machines, that would indicate a common item between the two machines, something like your incoming power supply.

I have also heard of lenses loose in the mounts were vibrating and distorting the image and this was misreported as flicker.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2010 07:12 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vibrating and so isn't problem, because all is seating tight and clean. A powering could be any reasonable thing to point now, as I didn't measured, but sure all 3 phases are there. Only, I did saw sometimes situation with voltages ph1=210, ph2=245, ph3=230 and still no problem in flickering....

I did also check shutter but on hurry, as I didn't saw any damage on it.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-14-2010 08:00 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 60 Hz countries you get a 12 Hz difference. In 50 Hz counties you get a 2 Hz difference. Could be incoming power (as states) or counld be unmatched diodes. IREMs are "sensitive" to diode mismatching. Louis

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-14-2010 08:46 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he may just have the image too bright, 1600w on a roughly 25' wide screen could cause flicker with a two-blade shutter.

Martin, try de-focusing the lamps slightly to lose a bit of light (which would also flatten the field a bit too.)

Also, 55 amps is a bit low for a 1600 watt lamp. Try bumping the current up to 60-65 amps, see if the flicker goes away. If that makes the image too bright then do the de-focus trick.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2010 01:45 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. I had the same thing and it ended up it was the diodes in the rectifier!! It wasn't exactly a flicker but it was something like dimming the light up and down while the projector was running.
Demetris

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2010 06:07 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think is diode, since there is no slowly fading or so, flickering is fast and not so big.....and is hard to be same thing on both.

Also this isn't IREM, is old rectifier but with 6 new diodes in it, and other machine where rectifier was before did run good.

Will try to get lamp out from focus, but before will measure AC ripple on output.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2010 03:33 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did measure AC ripple, below 5%, also did try to add 4700uF capacitor to rectifier, but is same......so probably is something on this V5's shutters?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-19-2010 08:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd call it the bulb focus issue - back off the bulb some. It's nice to have a bright light, but you can have it too bright.

-monte

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2010 10:42 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the screen is 25 feet wide (presumably 25 X 11 for scope) I can't imagine the 1600 watt lamp is putting too much light on the screen. Am I missing something?

Mike

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-20-2010 01:52 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, you are missing something. [Smile]

With a two-blade shutter a 1600w lamp can easily cover a 30' wide screen (maxed out though) and meet SMPTE standards.

Of course this is with a properly aligned lamphouse and good quality lenses.

At UC Irvine, with Kinoton lamphouses, my 1600 watt lamps, running at 1550 watts, with a three-blade shutter, gives me 16.5 fl on flat and about 20 fl on scope if I don't adjust the current. Our screen is 28' wide in scope.

Most never screens have at least some gain to them..the old charts and recommendations were often based on a "zero-gain" screen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: