Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinemeccanica platter mod

Author Topic: Cinemeccanica platter mod
Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2010 12:02 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got tired of dismantling the cover and reaching inaccessible pots to adjust the speed of our platter. So we wired new pots with shafts and knobs.
I know that manufacturers design equipment to keep fiddlers at bay but we must also protect our projectionists from the 220 Volts that lurk under that cover.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 03-14-2010 01:00 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron.

I'm interested to know why you have to constantly adjust the speeds.

Is it due to power fluctuations or wear on the mechanisms?

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2010 09:52 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian I have found our Cinemeccanica platters to be very sensitive to heat. few weeks ago now we had a 49C day and all my payout modules were creeping. adjusted them back , next day was cooler and they all were lagging.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-14-2010 02:09 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. They're EXTREMELY sensitive to temperature. A variation of 2°C could be fatal for your print. The platter will start spinning slowly when in stop position and if you do not realize in time you'll have a nice brain wrap to handle with.

I don't have any suggestion. Luckily in my projection booth the temperature was constant for the most of the time.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-14-2010 02:40 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever is temp. sensitive should have a small heater (light bulb) next to it to permit one constant temperature. If light sensitive, a large resistor will do. Louis

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2010 09:12 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These platters operate under Murphy's Law.
When access to control was difficult they needed regular adjustment.
Now we can adjust easily they are fairly stable.
I have attached a paper flap over the controls saying "Adjust only if absolutely necessary. Remember, only 1 or 2 mm is required" just in case the temptation is too great for one of our projectionists.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: