Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Did Carmike keep their projectors? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Did Carmike keep their projectors?
Charles Caron
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2010 10:42 PM      Profile for Charles Caron   Email Charles Caron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if Carmike sold, scrapped, exported or made a nice bonfire with their old machinery when they rolled out [dlp] ? Thanks, Charles

|  IP: Logged

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2010 10:55 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Carmike I used to work at has mothballed all 35mm equipment not at use at the location and dosent look like they have any plans for them. They are simply in the way right now.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2010 11:23 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a contingency plan to me.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-12-2010 11:43 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they did indeed at least mothball their 35mm equipment, good idea as they'll need it when the whole digital mess collapses.

Even better idea would have been to leave it in place ready to run in case the [dlp] craps out, but no one is smart enough to do that it seems.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-12-2010 01:41 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would then needan additional port!

What fries me is to see the 35mm moved off center. The digital has the ability to correct for offset; the 35mm does not and was working perfectly!. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-12-2010 01:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I even heard that Carmike is reinstalling their 35mm stuff and yanking out the DCI stuff due to the high expense of DCI due to some scaling down budget procedures.

True though, they were, at least, smart to mothball the film stuff .. "just in case" they need it back again.

-Monte

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2010 02:56 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Carmike is not pulling out any digital equipment too my knowledge; in fact in the 4th Quarter earnings conference call (available on carmikeinvestors.com) they bragged once again about all first run screens being digital

2) Some 35mm equipment has been sold off, I don't know how much as a percentage

3) If I had to bet, I'd say that the rest of the equipment is still sitting in the booths because its cheaper to leave it sit there than to ship it somewhere else

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-12-2010 05:38 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure what equipment they had in there more recently built houses, for a long time they loaded up on Ballantyne Pro 35's, which aren't worth the money to yank out. And considering the way the (didn't) maintain the machines, I suspect they only have scrap value.

Robert Carnino
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2010 09:51 PM      Profile for Robert Carnino   Email Robert Carnino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I manager a former Carmike theatre and when they went digital they just piled old 35 mm equipment under screens and in storage. When they took out their digital equipment and we started putting the old 35 mm stuff back together it was almost destroyed and it has taken almost 2 years to get it all fixed and running properly . So if you were looking to get some of their old stuff I would stay far away from it.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2010 02:27 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of a tech that opened a new theater with some projectors purchased from Carmike. They were Simplex though I don't know how old or what model. What I do know is he spent almost $10,000 in parts getting the projectors back up to snuff, which got the irate attention of his boss. "Do you want to open a new building with crappy presentation?" the tech asked.
The company stopped buying projectors from Carmike.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-13-2010 05:40 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Carmike is not pulling out any digital equipment too my knowledge; in fact in the 4th Quarter earnings conference call (available on carmikeinvestors.com) they bragged once again about all first run screens being digital
quote:
I manager a former Carmike theatre and when they went digital they just piled old 35 mm equipment under screens and in storage. When they took out their digital equipment and we started putting the old 35 mm stuff back together it was almost destroyed and it has taken almost 2 years to get it all fixed and running properly.
OK, I'm confused; which is it? Are they pulling out their digital units and going back to 35mm or not?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-13-2010 06:12 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-13-2010 07:50 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,
Digital does not have the ability to correct for being off center very
uch. Only the shift of the lens mount is available, No electronic correction is allowed...

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2010 09:08 AM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
which is it? Are they pulling out their digital units and going back to 35mm or not?
I think what they are doing is putting 35mm back into buildings they are vacating and moving the phase 1 Cinedigm projectors to other building (either for additional screens, new buildings or making Cinedigm put the projectors somewhere else).

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-13-2010 01:56 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our local Carmike 8-plex has 2 35mm systems still in operation. I'm pretty sure the other 6 projectors are still "mothballed" in the booth.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: