Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong VSR5000

Author Topic: Strong VSR5000
Tim OBrien
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2010 06:42 PM      Profile for Tim OBrien   Author's Homepage   Email Tim OBrien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've acquired a VSR5000 (a pedestal with built-in film transport similar to the Eprad Sword) only to find that Strong never designed a version for the US market and any existing units are export models or prototypes. Apparently this product never took off.

It is wired for single phase 220v AC 50/60hz input and the film transport motors are rated at 200v DC regulated by a LED/LDR. A frequency inverter provides 3ph conversion for export projector motors.

Does anyone know if this unit can be operated normally at 220V or used with a transformer at 115V? What modifications might be required? Or perhaps the guts can be replaced with parts from a platter having electronic speed controls (instead of a variac), maybe utilizing the existing LED/LDR. This might be better in the long run.

Crazy, maybe, but there seems to be very few film-transport pedestals available that occupy such a small footprint and the Sword is just butt ugly!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-11-2010 08:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the rating tag on the base and just get yourself a correct size 120 to 220 volt step up transformer and mount it inside the base. Then you don't have to mess with hooking it to a 220 volt service. It'll run just fine this way. I would sure like to see a photo of this base... I don't remember ever seeing one.

The Sword IS butt ugly and a non standard height but it works really well. It is more or less the same as the Double Mut. It is EXTREMELY reliable!

Mark

Tim OBrien
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2010 10:26 PM      Profile for Tim OBrien   Author's Homepage   Email Tim OBrien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No plate of any kind anywhere on this unit (there are other signs that this was possibly a prototype) although it is quite accurately described in the Film-Tech manual. It appears that the line voltage goes directly to a Lenze inverter with an input rating of 230V 5A and an output of 0-230V 2.6A on 3ph.

Based on this, do think I'd be safe with a 2000w step-up transformer? Can the transformer be sized too large? This pedestal is also a non-standard port height of 59". I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Thanks for your advice, Mark.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-14-2010 11:34 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The VSR was manufactured by Proyecson of Spain and made in limited numbers. Strong decided to make their own pedestal transport basically for the export market. The electrical set up is similar to the current Proyecson Sidewinder / R unit.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: