Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How do you store acetate and estar trailers? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How do you store acetate and estar trailers?
Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 11:05 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you store them EMULSION IN or EMULSION OUT?

I recently had the horrific experience of watching some of my prized trailer collection and having an acetate trailer jam up the following polyester trailer of "Pearl Harbor," burning through thankfully only the credits.

So should I store head or tail out soundtrack up or soundtrack down to avoid an obnoxious reverse bend in the film?

Also, is there any amount of time they should be stored before winding to prevent vinegar syndrome? I want these trailers to outlast me. . .

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-09-2010 01:02 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heard emulsion in - be like when acetate prints came in cans that needs to be rewound.

Store items like this in a controlled 50% humidity atmosphere.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-09-2010 04:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Emulsion-In and I'm sticking to it.

All prints should be aired out at least once per year (rewound back and forth).

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-09-2010 05:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, emulsion out...unless you like your films to warp and shrink. Steve is using 1960's data.

Also don't rewind them twice. Only rewind them one direction. The head of the print should alternate between being stored against the core vs. the outside of the reel.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-09-2010 05:28 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Emulsion in

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-09-2010 05:42 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't store trailers on trailer cores; they will eventually curl and won't be able to be focused properly. Either splice them together onto reels or get some 3" or 4" diameter cores and use those.

I don't know the official recommendation about this, but I doubt that it would be a good idea to store both acetate and polyester film together on the same core/reel. When nitrate and acetate were mixed in the same can in the 1950s, the nitrate would be fine after many years, but the acetate would have gone vinegar.

You really want to store acetate in either sealed Kodak lab cans with "molecular sieves" in the can or in plastic vented archival cans.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-09-2010 06:09 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I've got one trailer that dates from 1985 - don't know for sure but I assume it is acetate. The other handful of trailers I have are all of late-'90s or newer vintage. They are all spliced and stored together on one 4" core (head-up, emulsion-out), located either in my room or in the refrigerator. It is in a baggie, no can.

I haven't screened it or even wound it since probably 2003. I wonder if I should separate the assumed-acetate one to its own core...

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 03-09-2010 06:20 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alternate head out/tail out and emulsion in/emulsion out.

Do this once every 6 months or sooner if you are able, and keep the prints in a cool place with no temperature swings.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-09-2010 07:06 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1960s nothing...using my own data from actual use.

I have no particular problem with only winding once to alternate head/tail though.

Steve

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 07:19 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I know how to solve this whole thing. Here is how to store your trailers, and films: send them to Bruce Hansen Stone Mountain Georgia. (Sorry, could help it)

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 07:30 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok - but how would HE store them. [Big Grin] [evil]

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2010 12:00 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just last week I ran though a few old trailers.

Nine to Five was first, then Divine Madness, which was a little curly at the end and "bang" it went in the payout, just before a prized Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines trailer.

Don't leave old trailers wound too tight for too long and run them and wind them frequently.

No comments on the first couple of trailers please - I recently acquired them in a pile of stuff!

David

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2010 04:12 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Emulsion-In
quote: Ian Parfrey was the last to post
emulsion out
quote: David Kilderry was the last to post
in
quote: Ian Parfrey was the last to post
out
You shake it all about [Big Grin]

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2010 04:31 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You do the Hokey Pokey

And switch to Dig-i-tal

Thats what it's all about. [Big Grin] [Razz]

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2010 08:30 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I should split the difference and store half EM. out and half EM. in? [Razz]

Should it be EM. out for acetate and EM. in for estar (polyester)?

I think my biggest problem, though,was storing them on shitty cores.

BTW, anyone know where I can get the U-hubs and some of those protective cardboard bands on the cheap?

I guess I need to invest in them if I don't want my collection to further-deteriorate.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: