Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS XD10P Cinema Audio Processor

Author Topic: DTS XD10P Cinema Audio Processor
Zack Strickland
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2010 07:51 PM      Profile for Zack Strickland   Email Zack Strickland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the DTS XD10P on one of my sound racks suddenly and randomly (seeming) stopped changing from Nonsync to stereo and then to digital on it's own and we now have to do it manually each time. Not a huge deal, but most of the time i forget about it when the show is over and the preshow ads have no sound in the theater. I looked at the manual and it said to check the automation connections and programming. all good! anyone else ever have this problem or the knowledge to help?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-07-2010 07:55 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be an automation issue not pulsing the processor correctly when needed.

Zack Strickland
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2010 08:09 PM      Profile for Zack Strickland   Email Zack Strickland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how could i check this/what should i do next.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-08-2010 04:22 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By those picts that you posted of your booth, looks like you got Highlight II consoles with STRONG's CNA 200 automation units.

You have to finalize this before we can go on with solving this issue. But, right off, I would take it as a programming problem in the loop somewhere with the automation not pulsing the processor to go back to non-sync after show ends.

You also may just have a connection that went open why of your comment of a sudden problem with this.
thx-Monte

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2010 08:04 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have access to one of the DTS set-up/test disks?

The newer ones have a complete set of "pulses" on one of the
tracks that will step whatever proscessor you're using through
all the different sound modes, including non-sync.

This will help you narrow down the problem to see if it's
something in the wiring from the XD-10 or from the automation.

I don't recall the version number of the latest set up disk,
since I don't have one in front of me. I got mine (FREE!) by
calling DTS technical help line. I know there's one available
for download in the "software" section of this site, but I'm
not sure if it's the new version with the 'mode pulses' on it.
(I've been told the eariler versions did not have them)

If worse comes to worse, you can PM me and I'll send you
a copy of the disk, with documentation- - but I'm going to
be outta town for the next 10 days, so it would have to
wait until I get back.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2010 10:02 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The test disk is part of the XD-10 firmware and is on every XD-10 hard drive. You can select it through the set up options...

In the future also please be a bit more detailed as to what equipment you have when posting questions... such as what type of automation and so on... There are some automations out there that do see common failures.

Mark

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2010 10:22 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you even have a Digital Player connected to the XD10P processor? Do you have DTS XD10/20 DTS6D or DA20 unit? Do you have any cable connected in the "automation" connector at the back of your XD10P? If so try removing it and see if it still randomly switches inputs. If it is not then its definately something on your automation gone bizerk.
Demetris

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2010 02:13 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
The test disk is part of the XD-10 firmware and is on every XD-10 hard drive
Mark-
I know the XD-10's have the AUDIO portion of the test disk on
the hard drive, but I don't beleive they have the "automation
pulse test" included.

EDIT===> I just checked two of my XD10's, and confirmed that
neither of them contain the "automation test" pulses on the
hard disk. Only the audio tests (Pink noise, freq sweeps,
1k tones, etc) But no automation tests.

I even tried going into the "Automation Set Up" menu, and
they're not there either. At least not on the two units I
checked which are the two newest ones in my system.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2010 10:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're correct Jim but the player should still pulse between digital and SR on the processor as usual. Still a perfectably doable test.

Mark

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2010 05:31 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
D'OH! [Roll Eyes]
Yes, you're right (of course!) about that.
So obvious I didn't even think of it!

Calling up the audio tests would cause the DTS to at
least pulse the cinema processor into the digital mode.

On my systems, I think exiting the TEST mode puts my
Dolby Procs back into the standby (non-sync) mode.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2010 12:51 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At your XD10 navigate through menus as follows:

Main Menu >> System Setup >> Automation Setup >> Automation Test

Check out section 1.8.5.4 of the DTS XD10 manual here on Film-Tech

You can select any of the automation pins 1 through 8 and pulse it to verify the desired action. As well as the I/O control pins 1 through 3.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2010 01:56 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are Demetris and I the only ones that noticed he doesn't have an XD10? Folks, the XD10P is a processor, not a digital player like the DTS-6D or some such.

Zack, if you do have CNA-200 automation, you could try switching formats manually in the automation menu. Unfortunately, I'm not intimately familiar with the 200, so I'm not exactly sure how. (Now, if it were a 150, I could tell you anything you need to know!) If that works, then chances are somehow the automation programming got screwed up. If manually selecting formats from the automation does not switch the processor, it's probably a wiring issue.

Let us know.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2010 03:09 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also I would suggest a firmware upgrade to the latest (if you have a really old firmware). Check DTS (now Datasat) website on the procedure. DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU ARE SURE ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING. If you have no idea perhaps is better calling your tech to do it.

Demetris

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2010 01:23 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaaargg I didn't notice the P in XD10P - nevermind. [uhoh]

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2010 11:29 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I installed the XD10P (which is a USL JSD80 rebranded) and it does perform very well. Better than Smart and better than the CP45.
Demetris

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: