Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound question regarding Digital presentations

Author Topic: Sound question regarding Digital presentations
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-07-2010 04:06 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there are three established Digital sound formats for films-Doiby Digital (SRD), DTS & SDDS but what is the sound format for digital movie presentations, Does it use any one of the established digital sound format for film or does it have a entirely different sound system of it's own? I know 15/70 IMAX uses a double system but what about Digital IMAX. Does it use a similar system as the film format?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-07-2010 05:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude... D-Cinema is primarily uncompressed 5.1 derived from the final mix. Generally at 96khz / 24 bit sampling rate.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2010 09:02 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so why haven't we seen or heard the 8-channel soundmixes created for SDDS 35mm prints ported over to digital projction. Under DCI specifications five channels L-LC-C-LR-R behind the screen is applicable but largely unused as such. We see that Dolby and Pixar are extracting and presenting four channel discrete in the rear channels, it would in turn seem logical that 8 (7.1)channel or even the the merging of the two (9.1) sound is and could be implemented for the ultimate in theatre sound

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-19-2010 09:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are 16 potential channels. In fact, Surround 7.1 uses channels 11 and 12. 7 and 8 are for LC/RC. I don't know what 9/10 are going to be but I hear ADA related is the likely candidates.

Steve

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2010 12:51 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but have the LC and RC channels ever been used? I'd love to hear the exclusive 8-channel SDDS mixes implemented onto digital projection presentations.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-20-2010 02:59 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is very few movies have been made with RC and LC channels put into a 7.1 channel mix since SDDS has been available. The vast majority of all movies shown in SDDS were mixed 5.1. The vast majority of all SDDS installations are wired only for 5.1.

I think there is a bigger push for the 7.1 format with four surround channels since that is what has already been adopted for home theater. Theatrical 7.1 in that arrangement is much easier to port over to Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD and LPCM 7.1 on Blu-ray.

I would certainly welcome a grander digital audio format for commercial movie theaters, be it 10.2, 11.1 or even a 16 channel format with a couple or more alternative channels for descriptive English (for the blind) and perhaps foreign language audio. The listeners of the alternative tracks obviously would be wearing ear phones with some sort of radio receiver. Anyway, the commercial movie theater needs to stay a step above what home theater can achieve. A mammoth 12-track audio format is very do-able in a commercial movie theater environment and pretty impractical for most residential living rooms.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2010 03:20 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the growing number of non-English speaking customers in my area, I wouldn't be surprised if you see more Spanish-language audio using up those extra tracks from second language auditoriums.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-30-2010 02:41 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually you will have a separate playlist for playing other language versions.

Of course one could think of using an unused track for a simultaneous dialog track to be played out via earphones to customers demanding it, but I doubt any production will actually use that opportunity due to lack of standards. They will either use a separate language playlist or subtitling. I heard that in europe, DCPs routinely are distributed with local AND original audio tracks and corresponding playlists to choose.

But this discussion should go Straight To Video I think.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: