Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » external fader for non-sync on CP50 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: external fader for non-sync on CP50
Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2010 10:44 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how would one go about adding a more robust external fader to control non-sync level on a CP50? i have a film festival coming up with mostly local, DVD based stuff. The levels with such things tend to be all over the place and its annoying using a tweaker. I would love to have the fabled Cat 223 daughterboard but it seems there are none to be found...

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2010 02:37 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not trying a small DJ mixing console? If this is temporary, for the duration of your festival, it should do the job.
I have rerouted the NS1 input on my CP to the front of the sound cabinet, adding RCA connector so I can basically hook any kind of audio, from tape player to super 8 projector...

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2010 12:02 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another soloution is the simple circuit below.
I've got one of these on the input of a mono
sound system at at theater to control the level
of the pre-show CD player and give the capability
to fade the music up & down. I beleive I used a
100kOhm "audio taper" potentiometer which I got
at Radio Shack. If you need to control a stereo
source you'll need to get a dual "stereo"(ganged)
pot and connect each channel as you see here:
 -

You can build one of these for less than $10.00

I even have a "portable" version I built using a couple
of RCA audio cables and an empty band-aid box.
(The metal box provides shielding & a place to mount
the volume control)

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2010 12:32 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've built and used Jims style of box and recommend it! works well and does a first class job. I got my bits from Jaycar.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 03-04-2010 01:22 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing the "audio taper" is a log pot as opposed to a linear?

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2010 02:15 AM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i like jim's idea, but i would like it to control all four input channels. could i remove the trimpot on the 113c and solder wires to an external potentiometer? if i did this, what type of potentiometer would i use?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2010 10:53 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, of course you can do anything you want, but that doesn't
necessarily mean it's a good idea.

If you want to control more than one source, than I'd try to find a
small mixer, like Jean-Marc suggested in the first reply.

A couple of years ago, I bought a small 4-Channel mixer from
NADY systems.
You Can See One Here
You can set it up for either mono or stereo ins & outs.
Inputs are unbalanced. Output can be balanced or unbalanced.
All connections are via 1/4in plugs & jacks, so I bought
some cables & adapters. (Since I HATE having adapters
hanging directly off of the back of pieces of equipment)

This thing works great!
Radio Shack used to sell a similar unit. I'm not sure if they still do.

I also have a trusty old SURE M-267 mixer I got cheap on e-bay.

Which mixer I use depends on the needs of the partciular show I'm doing.

Yes, all this stuff cost me a little out-of-pocket cash, but it makes
it so much easier for me to do a professional job.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-04-2010 11:17 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim's trim pot idea is the simplest, most cost-effective and will work very well.

Another good accessory to have on hand is a ground-loop isolator or a pair of "direct boxes" to help prevent any hum issues.

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2010 02:32 AM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i need it to control all four input channels, so the mixer would need to have four outputs... at this point i'm looking at a costlier mixer, and it would be easier operationally to have everything on one control. if one were to remove the nonsync level trimpot and solder wires to an external potentiometer, what type would be used? what kind of trouble am i getting myself into?

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2010 09:54 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you need to control the levels for all 4 channels? You should be able to take LT and RT right out of the dvd player thru the mixer and into the non-sync input?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-05-2010 10:18 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He must have an external box that decodes the L/C/R/S signals from the DVD.

Two thoughts:

- you can use a 4-gang pot to control the gain of all four unbalanced channels

- you will get better sound quality out of non-sync on the CP50 by using the cat. 112 manual switch card rather than the 113C automation card; the manual card connects the NS inputs directly to the amps, so you will need an external gain control

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-05-2010 11:32 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless the DVD player decodes internally and outputs 6.1 in which case he still needs a multiple gang pot or small mixer.

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2010 02:11 AM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a bluray/DVD player with RCA outs for all 6 channels. a 4 gang pot sounds like the way to go. good to know about the 112, i do happen to have one kicking around. how does the 113c affect the NS sound?

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2010 05:54 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, if you have 113C than is easy, because 113C uses TDA ic which regulates 4ch input level, so remove non sync level trimmer which is on 113 board near MONO switch and put it somewhere outside, as CP50 don't have front panel fader I did added it one time, also did use stereo pot, so one side is for main fader, other for non-sync (instead that trimmer) so with one know I do control all levels....

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-08-2010 05:55 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cat. 112 gives you a direct path to the amps. The 113C has some electronics on it (the aforementioned gain pot) that will degrade sound quality.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: