Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Stablization Magnets

Author Topic: Stablization Magnets
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2010 08:02 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Strong Super Highlight(circa 1988) at a 5.5 degree down angle that I just changed the bulb(Christe CXL-20R) in and can not get the arc to fully center. The previous bulb experienced the same problem. The magnet has been adjusted up as close to the bulb as the bracket allows. So my question is: Do these magnets loose strength over time?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-01-2010 08:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heat definetly weakens a magnet over time
Also check that it is in the correct polarity

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2010 09:41 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Polarity checks out. I'll see if Strong still has these available.

Donald Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2010 01:14 PM      Profile for Donald Brown   Email Donald Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magnets in any lamphouse will loose their strength over time. It would be a good idea to check the alignment of the bulb in relation to the magnet again. While you may have adjusted the position of the magnet to "follow" the bulb, the field alignment may no longer be the same as intended, particularly if you have adjusted the travel of the bulb or changed the bulb from original spec's.
Even magnets in the old arc-lamps needed replacement or recharge after long service or modification of use, for example upgrading to larger carbon size.
Strong has replacement magnets available, or your unit could be sent out to a company such as Eriez Magnetics (I hope that I spelled that correctly) for recharge. You could also pick up a used magnet, salvaged from a similar lamp house, and send it out, if down time is a consideration.
Don Brown

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-02-2010 05:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had to replace the magnets on a number of Super Lum-Ex's because the magnets had become weak. When combined with a switcher power supply and a lamp house with weak magnets the arc would take a horse shoe shape at ignition and some tmes the arc would never settle down. New magnets solved the problem...

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: