Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Crazy Heart shedding like crazy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Crazy Heart shedding like crazy
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-01-2010 01:50 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a print of Crazy Heart which is shedding blue flakes like crazy, pardon the pun. Looking at the media pads, it is the soundtrack side of the print, emulsion side, SDDS track (or rather where SDDS would go). When looking at the film itself, you can see that the blue is fading away. The print looks fine onscreen other than it being very dirty. It runs fine. But at the end of the show, the entire projector, top to bottom is covered in blue chips. They get all over the film cleaner as well and I am thinking of pulling it because I think at this point it is doing more harm than good by redistributing the flakes since they are starting to get all over the picture area. The only way around this would be to run the cleaner only once and change the pads out each time.

Has anyone else seen this type of oddity? Simplex XL, Strong platters. We moved the print for one day last week and the shedding follows the print. The trailers are undamaged and do not shed.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-01-2010 02:03 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, until you said the trailers were undamaged I was going to suggest checking the intermitent sprocket shoes...but...

Sounds like just a f'd up print, possibly some sort of lab defect.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2010 02:12 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We started playing it this past weekend and I have had no reports of shedding. Christie P35C/Strong Platters

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-01-2010 03:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It didn't start this right away. There were a few occasional flakes here and there from the beginning and it gradually increased. I checked the entire path of the film to see if anything was rubbing on it too hard. The only thing that might be exacerbating the problem is maybe someone putting too much tension on the Cat 702 Dolby Digital reader.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-01-2010 03:32 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that makes me think it could be a bad print from the lab...maybe the edge treatment (if still used...I do miss John P's contributions) was missed or improperly applied?

Would excess tension on the 702 do this? I would think you'd also see some sign of sprocket damage...

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-01-2010 03:38 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if you have the time to do this but it might help if you clean the print at the bench with a fresh set of media rolls.

The reason for this would be to eliminate the possibility of the vicious cycle where "dirt" comes off the film and deposits in the projector's film path then redeposits on the print the next time you run it through. Cleaning at the bench will, hopefully, remove as much "dirt" as possible without the possibility of it getting back on the film.

Then you could clean the hell out of the projector and install a fresh set of media rolls. The print should run cleaner even if it isn't completely clean.

But if you don't have the luxury of time this will probably be a moot point.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-01-2010 05:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I could make the time, but the problem is ability. I don't have the ability to clean prints on the bench. I have a Neumade PRT Ultra table so options are extremely limited. I have changed out pads in the middle of the week for it, but it only helps for the one show that it runs "wet".

Tony, I have seen one of my guys constantly make the tension one perf too tight on the two 702 readers we have. We have 4 BACP readers and he just applied the same tension on all of them (the BACP requires more "space" between the tensioning rollers than the Dolby-proper readers, it is difficult to get that much tension on the 702, but you can do it). The 702 reads fine with the extra tension and I don't see any sprocket damage (I have checked many times) but I tell him not to do it anyway.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2010 12:09 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I call it a "effed" up print from the lab as well ...

I've seen the misalignment (aka.PR-1060's) of the shoes making sharp edges on the sprocket's outboard teeth and creating a "snowstorm" in the operation itself.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2010 12:20 AM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a lot of print shedding issues? Or is it just crazy heart? We've been playing it for 3 weeks and haven't had any issues, the first show was run through film guard and its been fine.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-02-2010 01:07 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No other issues with other movies. Filmguard applied once per week on new pads, pads run every show. The "wear" is on the emulsion side which eliminates the intermittent show as the cause. Flakes do not appear heavier in one area of the projector than the others. You can see the stuff sitting on top of the print as it sits on the platter deck.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-02-2010 06:47 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be hard for a lab to produce an entire print with a problem as the reels are individually printed often on different lines
And if it was bad stock then I would again suspect it would not be an isolated problem
Check shoes in the trap often flaking is material that was abraded in the previous showing being deposited on the next pass through the machine

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-02-2010 07:38 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did the print previously play at a different theatre? Maybe it was damaged before you received it.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2010 09:57 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is something that should be reported to the distributor, and subsequently the the lab that made the print. Gordon's point that all reels are not made at once, or on the same machine, is right, but maybe running on a platter only some of the reels are having this problem, but it looks like the entire print is a fault.
I'd guess it's something in the lab processing.

DM

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-02-2010 10:50 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, print was new. I don't have a lot of time to be checking on individual reels, but most reels seem affected, though definitely some more than others. It might be the first and last reels that are the worst, as if I wipe out parts of the projector during the show, it stays fairly clean for the most part, but it always flaky again at the end. I requested another print last week, but am not sure if I'll get one. The shoes were clean. I did change the bands for the hell of it last week, but no change in flakiness.

Could damage like this be caused by misthreading to where the mistreaded show runs fine and causes no other damage to the print? Why are the trailers fine?

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2010 05:37 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you check to see if there are any grooves cut in the intermittent shoe and/or pressure pad/skate (I assume you've already checked the intermittent sprocket teeth)? I had all these problems on my 1060's (as well as the shoe being set too close). Replacing the shoes, pads/skate, sprocket and readjustment of the shoe tension and alignment of the gate trap cured all my shedding problems.

It does seem odd that the trailers were unaffected, but perhaps a splice near the end of the trailer pack went through and "popped" the shoe over slightly on one or two runs (don't know if this can actually happen)?

Are you sure the shedding followed the print or was it the residual flakes still coming off the print in the other projector?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: