Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How much Film Guard is too much?

Author Topic: How much Film Guard is too much?
David Barlow
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2010 08:49 PM      Profile for David Barlow   Email David Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the theater I work at we have 8 screens and 2 film cleaners, we just got them both up and working. Most of our projectionists and management have never worked with media cleaners or Film-Guard before and my own knowledge is a bit limited so I just thought I would ask. With 2 cleaners we could run each of our prints on the media cleaner roughly once a day (some of our screens have 2 or more prints) - but would this be overkill?

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-28-2010 09:31 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David.

Please do a search of the forums...this topic has been covered plenty of times, however as a place to get you going...you can run them as often or as seldom as you like. The more you run them the better your prints will look.

There is no cleaner-use overkill, but you can over-FilmGuard. Again, search the forums for more.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-28-2010 10:35 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This question requires a bit more detail which I will answer here since there is no sticky topic about it. With only 2 cleaners, it would be hard to do much actual cleaning of the prints. The cleaner must be rewound and run for several passes on any given print before the real difference can be seen. You would really only be able to apply Filmguard which would help a bit against static and maybe shedding. But I don't think you will see much if any difference on the overall cleanliness of your films unless you get more cleaners. Also, if you have Strong platters it will make even less of a difference. I run my cleaners on every print, every show, every day on Strong platters and my films are still quite dirty. Strong platters suck.

But to answer your direct question, don't run a print through a wet cleaner more than once a week. Once the pads have been soaked and run, you can run a print that has been previously soaked through those same pads for up to a week. Sometimes when I have intense shedding I will resaturate the same pads in the middle of a week.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-28-2010 11:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I run my cleaners on every print, every show, every day
Then in the next paragraph...
But to answer your direct question, don't run a print through a wet cleaner more than once a week.
WTF?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-28-2010 11:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I should have said "freshly saturated" instead of "wet", but "wet" has fewer letters and required less of my life to type. [Smile] Anyway the pads aren't wet any more after 1 pass, at least not by comparison to before that pass.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-28-2010 11:22 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
..."wet" has fewer letters and required less of my life to type.
HAHAHAHhahahaha That's hilarious! Thanks for the laugh, Joe! [thumbsup]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-01-2010 02:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
But I don't think you will see much if any difference on the overall cleanliness of your films unless you get more cleaners.
Yes he will. Even the theaters that only pass the film through FG once a week have drastically reduced shedding, and that is the biggest cause of dirt (and digital sound failures).

David, just run each cleaner for 2 days on a given print, saturating the pads before the first of 2 day's worth of shows on a given print. You will be amazed at the difference.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2010 06:12 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so what does the make of the platter have to do with it??

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2010 10:33 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering the same thing. I've been using Strong platters for almost 20 years and not had any problems with them making prints dirty. The main main cause of shedding that I found was caused by the intermittent shoe/pad being set too close to the intermittent sprocket. Once I re-adjusted them, the shedding practically stopped.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-01-2010 10:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There is virtually zero backtension on a Strong platter, so the cleaning machine works well in applying FilmGuard to stop shedding and cover up scratches, but it can't clean existing dirt of of an older print up without a lot of passes because there is such little pressure on the film cleaning media pads.

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2010 12:14 PM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong platter are some of the most reliable platters I have worked with.

The brains can be finicky, but are easy to fix/service. They can be spun by hand in a crunch.

I've used them to do 35mm fast-forwards. I don't like the I/O switch to slave to a MUT, but that is a human failure, really, not the platter's that you have to pay attention to the platters spinning.

Anyway, I would think the projectors have every thing to do with film shedding, and the platters hardly any.

I've used Kelmar film cleaners, or, in a crunch just applied film cleaner to the side of the prints. The film cleaners are much more consistent, reliable, but the side-wipe method works in a crunch.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-01-2010 11:33 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Smith
Anyway, I would think the projectors have every thing to do with film shedding, and the platters hardly any.
No one said that the platters have to do with shedding. He was saying that if you only ran the cleaner a couple times tops, you'd also only get rid of static and minor shedding.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: