Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Cleaner take up core problem

Author Topic: Film Cleaner take up core problem
David Ahrens
Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2010 04:33 PM      Profile for David Ahrens   Email David Ahrens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just got myself a Kelmar Film cleaner and purchased some Filmguard and Film-Tech Media pads from Jack Roe. My problem is I cant get the take up cores onto the film cleaner they are to tight. I have searched the forum and found its been mentioned before and that there are larger cores available. Can anyone let me know where I can get two or if they be sourced over here in the UK. ?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-25-2010 05:57 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you undo the take up spindle's thumb screw out all the way so the rubber insert isn't compressed, for this compressed insert is what holds the cores on the spindle.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-26-2010 01:16 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that the current Film-Tech cores are always much too tight (they actually have a giant bulge in the center where the rubber insert is). The older cores (without the Film-Tech logo) work a little better, but they sell for $300 each on eBay because they are so rare. Most Kelmar rubber inserts are waaaay too thick, so you may have to sand the outside of them down a bit as well. Just rub the rubber insert on some heavy grit sandpaper. Be sure to get all sides. If it is too difficult to rewind when the thumbscrews are loosened you can also cut a section of the rubber insert out to create a "C" shape, just don't remove too much.

Be careful as sometimes you will run into a film cleaner where even the current cores are too loose. The cleaner parts are not manufactured with any level of consistency.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2010 01:45 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, if you're interested, I've got some non-logo cores that I might be convinced to part with for a mere $250 for a pair of them. Lightly used, only 20,000 miles, I'll even throw in a full tank of gas. This is a great deal.

David, first, do as Monte says and make sure the thumb screws are loosened appropriately. If that still doesn't work, there are a couple of ways to go about it. You could sand the rubber center part of the spindle down as Joe suggested, but another method that I have heard of, but haven't personally done, is the cut a core in half and put the two halves around the spindle. The tape from the media pad and the tension once you get it wound around will hold the two halves of the core together.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2010 10:29 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Autozone carries a bulk replacement windshield washer tube that has worked great for me. It has a smaller inner and outer diameter so it fits really snug on the spindle and the cores slide on with ease. You do have to cut the tube a little longer in length than the originals so that it can engage the core when compressed. Also, only tighten the thumbscrews just enough to keep the core from slipping. This will help to keep the rubber from becoming embedded to the inside of the core.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-26-2010 11:16 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Joe said, the rubber inserts have a wildly varying level of consistency. At one time the original coupling cores worked well, then we changed them a second time to accommodate the different inserts coming from Kelmar (but those were so loose the media would run weird) so we modified it a third time, at which point it also fit. Then we gave up.

Cardinal sells a proper insert for these cleaners. I am interested in any specifics for this windshield washer tube that Jeremy has.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2010 11:56 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, it's been about two years since I did the replacement. I'll see if I can get a part# for it or at least piece together any info on the side walls of the cut pieces.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-26-2010 05:31 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have tried it both ways and some folks like one over the other. That is, we have sourced a suitable hose, and then shaved it down. We have also used the next size smaller hose (OD) and cut it long so it would squish more (and it will look rather deformed) and that seems to work too.

Steve

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-27-2010 02:12 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody lost the core that was on one of my cleaners today and I put a new one on there. Or at least I tried to. I had to cut the insert waaay down and shave it. Now it doesn't want to rewind. Once you force it, it rewinds fine, it just sticks really bad for some odd reason.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2010 08:19 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I am interested in any specifics for this windshield washer tube that Jeremy has.
Better late than never. I finally remembered to get the stock# for the tubing at Autozone: 65114 Windshield/Radiator overflow tubing. As mentioned before, it has a smaller inner diameter so it fits real tight on the take-up spindles and has a smaller outer diameter so its easier to slip the Film-tech cores on to. You just need to cut them a bit longer than the "stock" pieces; 1" long works good for me.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-17-2010 02:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't have an Autozone near you, that tubing is also available at Carquest as part number RBR 27044. I think the outside diameter of the Carquest product might be a little too big for the FG cores but it would be very close.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2010 03:03 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And this windshield washer tubing takes the place of the rubber insert on the take up spindles??

I replaced my cardboard cores that were on my film cleaner last weekend with a pair of empty film-tech cores. They wind just fine, I just cant rewind them... too tight - even with the thumb screws taken completely out.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2010 03:26 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Barry Floyd
And this windshield washer tubing takes the place of the rubber insert on the take up spindles??
Yep. I've been using it on all 6 machines here for nearly 2 years. The sweet spot for length seems to be 1". An important thing to remember though is to not over tighten the take up thumb screw. You want it just tight enough to keep the core from slipping easily. If its too tight it causes the rubber to embed inside the core.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2010 03:05 AM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just lost one of the cardboard inserts, where would I be able to pick up the "cardinal" cores. I'm also planning a trip to autozone tomorrow to be able to use that in the mean time, if it works well enough i'll save myself the ordering of the cardinal replacements.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-19-2010 02:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Cardinal doesn't sell the cores, they sell an ideal sized takeup insert. (I haven't tried the Autozone recommendation above yet.)

Cardinal Sound & Motion Picture Systems, Inc.
6330 Howard Lane
Elkridge, MD 21075
410-796-5300
Fax 410-796-7995

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: