Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor will ship "REPO MEN" in orange box (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Technicolor will ship "REPO MEN" in orange box
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-22-2010 05:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Email just received says that Tech will start using their print box with the Universal film "Repo Men."

"Improved" features are:

- Handle is now on top of the box (like Deluxe) because the side handles proved not sturdy enough
- There will be four velcro strips added to the flap closures on the box (I'm not sure how to picture this)
- The corrugations will run horizontally, not vertically like the Deluxe box - they say it makes the box stronger
- They will ship a maximum of 6 reels in one box

Also they expect the box to last "four turns." I guess that means shipping in-and-out four times, which seems minimal for such a sturdy type of box. You'd think a hard-plastic box would be about the same $, and last longer. But would be more expensive to make, I suppose.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-22-2010 10:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow I can't wait I wish everything shipped in large corrugated back-friendly plastic boxes! And for those who say your back is at risk... who cares? Certainly not the depots. The depot likes boxes better because they are easier to stack, they don't care about your back. In fact, they wish you would die.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2010 10:51 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
meh great now there are more boxes to carry up the flights of stairs. FAIL.
Meh there is an elevator in our building but it doesn't run to the level our build station is on.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-23-2010 01:04 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you actually say "meh" out loud?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-23-2010 01:22 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cans are history. Might as well get used to it. The inability of shipping companies to keep two cans together has spoken.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-23-2010 11:18 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Cans are history.
Unless it is 7 reels or more in Technicolors case.....unless they use two boxes for one print.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-23-2010 11:20 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what they are saying...anything 7 or more reels will come in 2 boxes.

Obviously this goes against what they want, i.e. keeping the print in one container, but since the majority of prints are 5 or 6 reels I can see why they're doing it this way.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-23-2010 11:26 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least that would even out the load on the body carrying the prints up stairs on those 7 or more reels. I would hope but not guarantee that they would put four reels in one and three reels in the other.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2010 12:58 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Deluxe boxes have the velcro strips, and it really helps keep the top flap shut, but kind of a pain to open when new. Eventually, the velcro will wear out and will have to be replaced, with as many times as the box gets opened and closed.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2010 09:49 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not like getting entire prints in one box. [thumbsdown]
They're not back-friendly. They're not finger-friendly either. Lifting the entire weight of a print by a thin bit of sturdy cardboard, cuts off circulation to the fingers in a hurry.

Matt Johnston
Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2010 05:08 PM      Profile for Matt Johnston   Email Matt Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is anything like the can (I mean box) that was sent out a few months ago, they also have side handles that have plastic inserts.

From the two times I moved the box, I preferred it over the Deluxe version.

Cans or boxes... doesn't matter to me too much either way. That's what the hand dolly is for.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2010 08:36 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: "Joe Redifer "
Do you actually say "meh" out loud?
Yes.

And since most of the films coming out are 7 reels or less one heavy box.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-25-2010 09:17 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matt Johnston
That's what the hand dolly is for.

[Big Grin] You must have an elevator or dumbwaiter then in your complex to go upstairs if you're that neutral about the whole thing.

Some of us have major stairs to climb hauling them damned things up and down per week.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-26-2010 12:51 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One way to eliminate the heaviness problem would be to make two trips. Take 3 reels out of the box, carry the box up. Come back for the other three reels. Sure, it's two trips but think of the exercise you're getting.

quote: Matt Johnston
If this is anything like the can (I mean box) that was sent out a few months ago, they also have side handles that have plastic inserts.
They are replacing the side handles and plastic inserts with a top handle similar to the Deluxe box.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-26-2010 04:31 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the fine print on your health insurance policy and be sure you are fully covered for HERNIA.

We don't have and elevator in the big theatre. After two or three trips up 6 flights of stairs it didn't take me long to realize I better devise a better way of doing it or I was going to have to quite.

I anchored a hefty size wince in a catwalk in the hang ceiling, its aircraft cable dropping thru a hole in the ceiling. I attached two caribiners to the end of the cable and devised a pully that routed the cable so it passed directly in front of the large followspot booth window. The winch hoists the cans up to the window and projectionist (very) carefully pulls them into the booth.

Now I am going to have to figure out the best way to attach the damn box to the cable -- maybe I'll need to use one of those shipyard nets that enclose the box and gather at a single point where it can be hooked to one of the caribiners. I thought about doing that for the cans yeas ago when one of latches let loose and I looked down in horror as three reels flew out of the can hurling down 4 stories to the orchestra seats. That's quite an impressive sight, by the way.

And for Joe's edification:

Meh --an interjection, often an expression of apathy, indifference, or boredom. However, it can also be used to indicate agreement or disagreement. It can also be an adjective, meaning mediocre or boring.

The word gained popularity as a result of its use on The Simpsons. It was used in a 1994 episode, "Sideshow Bob Roberts," when a librarian reacts to Lisa's surprise that voting records are not classified, and also in "Lisa's Wedding" after Marge weaves "Hi Bart" on a loom to try to pique his interest in weaving and he says "meh." Lisa, in the 2001 episode "Hungry, Hungry Homer", spells out the word for emphasis, after Homer tries to interest her and Bart into going to a theme park. As early as 1992, however, the word appeared on a fan discussion board about the TV series Melrose Place. The word's first mainstream print usage occurred in Canadian newspaper the Edmonton Sun in 2003: "Ryan Opray got voted off Survivor. Meh."

There has been speculation that its origin is Yiddish because of its similarity to the interjection "feh".
-- Wikopedia.

Here in Brooklyn, anyone caught saying "Meh," gets nuggied. For saying it twice in a single post....a reeeealy big FAT nuggie and his briefs pulled up so high his voice goes up a register. [Big Grin]

-- Noogie: The act of putting someone in a headlock and vigorously rubbing one's nuckles to his/her head,usually followed by begging for mercy and cursing with laughter from others who may be watching. -- Urban Dictionary

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: