Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Critical distance between projector in change-over booth

Author Topic: Critical distance between projector in change-over booth
Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2010 06:56 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one booth, screen is 8m (26ft) wide for scope, distane is 26m (85ft), and projector are each by side from center 1.9m (6ft), so distance between projector are 3.8m(12ft) total.

I did check on schneider software that distortion is 2%.....what you think on this? It would be okay or....also screen is flat.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 02-22-2010 12:27 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marin.

2 % is an abstract value that I find hard to correlate with image quality. How does the picture look with some RP40? If the images on that is ok then all should be fine.

At a throw of 26m, the closer together you can get the projectors the better but then you have practical issues to deal with such as risk of bumping the right hand machine when threading the left and so on. Somewhere there will be a happy medium where distortions are acceptable (if at all) and operator convenience is not compromised.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-22-2010 12:40 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
? have you seen the spread between projectors in Brad's new booth for his screening auditorium ?

... and I bet that's not even a 50ft throw.

Thus, with an 85ft throw, 12 ft isn't too bad - maybe a light case of keystoning.

-Monte

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2010 05:04 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK, irrespective of the length of throw, the recommended distance between change over projectors is 4ft 6ins, about 1.4 metres. This is measured from the optical centre of projector 1 to the optical centre of projector 2.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2010 05:08 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's 2.8 meter from both projector, we have here about 1.8 to 2m mostly....well the less the better and less space [Big Grin]

As, screen is smaller and distance is higher, the distortion is less...

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2010 01:38 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marin Zorica
I did check on schneider software that distortion is 2%.....what you think on this? It would be okay or....also screen is flat.

Yes, it's OK. The horizontal offset from the screen centreline of each projector appears to be 4.18 degrees approx., calculated thus:

Inverse Tan 1.9 / 26 = 4.18 degrees

The usual rule of thumb is to keep the offset under 5 degrees maximum.

This is only a coarse measure and the distortion equations are far better - 2% is very good (3% is usually the maximum preferred value, and not to exceed 5%).

It also looks as if you could accomodate another machine in a central position, based on your information.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2010 05:04 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old "Mitchell's Projection Manuals" had a simple formula
for determining recommended spacing between dual projectors
based on the distance to the screen. Unfortunately, I can't
seem to find my manual at the moment so I can't look up the
info for you, but I'm sure someone else on the forum probably
has one of these books and can look it up.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-23-2010 09:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, it also required quite a bit of custom modification to the projectors to keep the entire image in focus.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-23-2010 09:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone cares:

The old SMPTE projection book has a diagram which specifies 72" from lens center to lens center.

Massachusetts code requires 42" clearance on each side and rear of each projector, although it is not clear if the spaces can overlap. (I assume that this is allowable, as I have never seen a booth with 84" of space between the projectors.)

One annoying "feature" of at least two newish (last few years) installations in this area is the placement of a video projector between the 35mm projectors. I can almost understand why this was done, but it rubs me the wrong way to think that film presentation is being compromised for the sake of video.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2010 05:02 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Monte, it also required quite a bit of custom modification to the projectors to keep the entire image in focus.
Can you tell us a bit more detail? You thinking on adjusting lenses a bit, or film path in gates?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-24-2010 11:11 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Lens holder and gate had to be skewed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: