Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound leaking from behind screen (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Sound leaking from behind screen
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 12:23 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I touched on this before, but I have a slightly different situation now. The theater I work at has apartments above it. The new tenant that moved in above theater two is constantly complaining about the sound coming through. The theater had work done a few years ago to try and soundproof. Behind the screen was not touched and I think that's where a lot of it is coming from. The only way to get back there is to pull the screen down. It's a very small area. Should I just frame out the walls and ceiling and add tons of insulation?

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 12:30 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound Baffle makes a lot of difference. Also don't laugh but it would be wise to sit the subwoofers and speakers on tennis balls used as insulators.
Demetris

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 01:19 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sub has been shut off for now.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-19-2010 02:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, when your theatre building was built, it was prob long before the invention of stereo sound and using subwoofers.

Along with power from the amplifier to speaker being less than 10 watts and also only using one speaker.

Plus, no "explosive" movies were made back then.

Might have to dbl insulate the ceiling with sheetrock then 2ft of insulation, then sheetrock over that.

Then you can turn the subwoofer back on.

-Monte

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-19-2010 02:36 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
The landlord should have included a disclaimer in the lease about the theatre noise.

Tell the whiny tenant to fuck off or move.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 02:51 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whiny tenant is Patricia Clarkson. Nobody ever complained like this before her. She has cursed the staff out a number of times already and threatened lawsuits. My response was "you shouldn't have moved on top of a movie theater". Anyway, I figure building a frame around the walls behind the screen should lessen it. What type of insulation is best? It is not only the sub bleeding through. Also, this building is an apartment building. The theater occupies the first floor.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 02-19-2010 03:06 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have no idea who Patricia Clarkson is or if she is famous or whatever- that really shouldn't be a factor in dealing with this situation anyway.

I fully agree with Phil's advice. If you spend up big trying to appease this person, then expect to make a rod for your back because whiney tenants will always remain whiney tenants and if they perceive a victory for themselves then you have set a precedent.

Besides, there is something called "caveat emptor"...it means buyer beware and if she is dopey enough to take on an apartment next to a cinema then stiff cheddar - time to move.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 03:12 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you knew who she is, you would understand. I totally agree that it's tough shit on her. If the owner of the theater felt the same way, then it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, he doesn't. That being said, we are trying to find the best way to do this.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-19-2010 03:44 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't think you tell her the fuck off, however satisfying that might feel [Smile] and it's good to spend at least a little time on the problem. Especially if she gets the law involved, you can show you didn't ignore her. I'm guessing the subs are most, if not all of the issue since you mention they were shut off. Where is her apartment in relation to the theater? Near the screen where the shaking speaker cabinet itself is causing the noise, or elsewhere - such that the sound pressure only is the problem. What is actually heard in the apartment; for example if it's a loose length of duct work pipe,etc., maybe it can be bolted down better. You can try the THX suggested Mason Super W 30 durometer pads under the speakers to start, ductliner elsewhere.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-19-2010 03:59 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a legal sense, the theatre was there before her. . . just like neighbors of airports.

I think that any money spent to satisfy her should be shared with her or her landlord. This keeps her from starting a never-ending system of complaints and establishes a policy of shared responsibility.

I agree that the loudest location is behind the screen and that a sound baffle wall with the speakers closely mounted through it is a really good start. You may also move the subs to a location froward of the screen in the corner between the screen wall and the floor. You will get better propogation to the audience and may well be able to reduce the overall level which will help backstage. Louis

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 02-19-2010 04:13 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I guess pest extermination isn't an option then? [evil]

Practically speaking, it would be advantageous to gain access to the affected apartment and work backwards- that is, to go over the place and carefully note and feel where the intrusions are coming from. It may well be air duct or support beam transmission in which case you know where to start your efforts. Floor transmission has been addressed previously with tennis balls or spring mounts for rectifiers, subs &tc. Quite often, just feeling the walls, ceiling and floor can identify trouble spots.

Whatever happens, a word to the body corporate might be in order just so you have your view put forth and noted.

The threat of legal action may well blow up in this persons face as the court will certainly take into consideration where the apartment is located and other buisness/buildings in close proximity.

As long as you aren't breaching tenancy rules and have taken appropriate actions, then you should be safe from any threatened legal action.

Best of luck.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 05:29 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sub is not the main issue. It has been off for a long time now and she is still screaming. Her apartment runs the length of the auditorium. She says she can hear the loud scenes, especially music. It's loudest in her bedroom which is over the screen. I agree that we will never satisfy her. She is a friggin nut job. Just look in the news at the tantrums she has had. Until the owner sees this, we have to try something.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-19-2010 05:33 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, sound is like water or heat. You do the full job or it's almost useless.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 06:08 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um.......OK

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2010 06:22 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard May
If you knew who she is, you would understand.
This Patricia Clarkson?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: