Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Potts Platter Fuse keeps blowing

Author Topic: Potts Platter Fuse keeps blowing
Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2010 08:10 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Potts Platter Model 35-3a

Was working fine for two shows today. When threading for the next show, the platter was not paying out.

Checked fuse and it was blown. Changed fuse and it blew right away when power switch was turned on. Disconnected all platter motors and replaced the fuse. It blew again and tripped the breaker.

A visual inspection of the variable transformer shows all wires to be secure.

Thanks
Thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2010 08:15 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you also disconnect the variac?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-14-2010 08:15 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the lights. It's not impossible one might have shorted. When you turned on the power, if the dancer arm was dropped to the bottom (platter motors off), then it takes out most of the system. Check the shutoff switch, it might have shattered (doubt it, but could be). Otherwise, the lights would be the only thing that would be energized with the arm at the bottom.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2010 08:27 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not disconnect the variac, but will try that.

Lights have not been working for a while, but I will try to see if they work.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2010 10:24 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there a separate fuse for the lights or was that added on later models?

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2010 11:12 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the problem. A black wire on the back side of the transformer (behind the distribution block) had become loose and was touching the transformer causing it to short.

I have begun to take the transformer out of the box that houses it but I am having a difficult time finding an allen wrench the right size. I will check tomorrow morning with the automotive store next door to me.

Lights on a seperate fuse.

Thanks for everyone's quick help. Thankfully this occurred on our slowest screen.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-15-2010 12:59 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe try metric allens, though from what I remember Strongs use The Queen's measurements.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-15-2010 03:02 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah...they're American Standard .. you need a 1/16" allen to loosen the two setscrews that are on the rotor collar to remove the pivot shaft from the variac. Best if you get a set of screwdriver, or "T" handle allens .. works great when doing variac work.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-15-2010 08:08 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That screw location that Monte mentions is counter-intuitive. It is on the other end of the variac. My first time, I fought this for an hour until I decided to "try all screws." Louis

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2010 02:19 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, the first screw I tried had me perplexed for a while until I was told to try the two screws on the rotoe collar. No problem then!

Unfortunately looks like the tranformer is shot.

Anyone have a used one they want to sell?

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2010 04:48 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Final solution: I had a spare MUT that I was not using and took the transformer off of it.

Back up and running.

Thanks for everyone's help.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: