Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "Wolfman" : Visable Time Code Problem?

Author Topic: "Wolfman" : Visable Time Code Problem?
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2010 09:59 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't feeling well yesterday, so I went home immediately after
making up my WOLMFAN print.

When I came in the morning, I found a badly written note attached to
my print that says (if I can read it) - -

"Technicolor called and said they forgot to send out a fax
regarding proper framing of WOLFMAN". If not framed properly,
time code will be visable. "

(I assume they mean a window time-code on the print.
Not DTS code. I had this problem on a print last year)

ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT THIS OR HAVE HAVE
YOU HAD A PROBLEM??

|  IP: Logged

Rachael Barbash
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2010 02:21 PM      Profile for Rachael Barbash   Author's Homepage   Email Rachael Barbash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a time code on the print. The one I saw was about a third of reel 5 (picture here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rebarbashphotos/4350395278/ ) but there may have been more.

Did you measure the fade in/fade outs on reel 4 like they said?

edit: It's really not an issue if the film is threaded correctly. I think there would have to be something seriously wrong if you could see that on screen... though I'd like to do it just to experiment.

Matt Skilton
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2010 04:38 PM      Profile for Matt Skilton   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Skilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reel four was a bloody nightmare, especially as our e-mails into projection aren't working so we had no prior warning. I used my initiative though and made it up correctly (both prints in fact). I had to use the last set of cue dots though to get the foot of the reel cut. Just about found them.

The time code shouldn't be a problem if it's racked up correctly. I recall Valkyrie had the same thing.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2010 04:40 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have got to wonder how that stuff ended up on a release print. Can anyone say "sloppy work"?

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 02-12-2010 10:13 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's to stop piracy, y'know. [evil]

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2010 01:43 AM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to go off-topic, but can anyone confirm how the scene at the reel 4/5 change was supposed to look? What I saw was the image fade to black, the second set of cue dots in the black, and then immediately the first scene on reel 5 (no fade-in).

There was no sign of any timecode on the showing I saw - which is surprising, since this theater is notorious for not framing 100% correctly... Did this error actually make it into UK prints?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2010 09:26 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pulled the aperture plate and ran a couple of reels
of WOLFMAN yesterday. There's is some time-code & scene
number/editing info near the ends of reels 3 & 4
(the two reels I ran). It was between 16 & 18min if
you look at a DTS time code reader.

There was also a lot of it present during that scene
near the begining where they're chasing the beast
through the woods.

I think Technolor's concern was a bit overblown- -the
info appears way out of the 1:85 framing area. You'd
have to have your framing WAAAAAAY off to see it, if
your 1:85 aperture plate is cut correctly.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2010 09:01 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matt Skilton
I recall Valkyrie had the same thing.
and

quote: Bruce Hansen
Can anyone say "sloppy work"?
Nope, but I can say it might be a small conspiracy to destroy print quality in order to piss off more exhibitors in order to get them to go digital as installation prices continue to drop. Call me paranoid, but I don't trust anybody in Hollywood.

Paranoid . . . no trust . . . enemies list . . . am I becoming Richard Nixon [uhoh]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-13-2010 10:02 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone's who's that far out of frame deserves all the crap to hit their fan as is coming. And why would Technicolor even have to point this out? It would be like them sending a letter around saying, "Be careful -- if you are not properly framed, frame lines are going to be visible.

Who cares what is visible in film geography that is NOT SUPPOSED to be projected?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-13-2010 10:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've said this before, but if the filmmakers really wanted to ensure their 35mm presentations were framed properly they would do one of the following:

#1 Shoot the movie in scope, like the idiots should be doing in the first place.

#2 Create CLEAR framelines with a thick black edge outside the an aspect ratio of about 1.5:1

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-14-2010 08:23 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, Brad, and I would add, now with digital intermediates on every film, there is no reason at all why they can't reprint say 3 ID frames after the title section in the heads and tails leaders. I would go even further -- print a single ID frame on either side of the count-down number just in the event that a few frames at the front end gets damaged. Obviously now they are making up title-specific leaders for each reel anyway, so it's not like the old days where they spliced on negative leaders onto which they had to hand write titles.

I recall John P. saying it would be difficult for the lab to deal with ID frames in the leader, but that was before digital; now Head and Tails would contain the first and last frames respectively with no more trouble than click, copy and paste.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: