Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ultra*Stereo not switching to DTS

Author Topic: Ultra*Stereo not switching to DTS
Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2010 01:44 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS XD20 Cinema Media Player
DR-1 DVD-ROM drives
JS-200 Ultra*Stereo processor

The cable running from the XD20 to the automation inputs on the Ultra*Stereo is labeled part # E681A. (It actually says "To XD10", but I figured that it probably is the same cable for both the XD10 and the XD20.)

We only have two houses with this particular setup, and in both cases the Ultra*Stereo almost never pulses to Digital/Ext. We have to manually switch it. Once in a blue moon, the DTS will pulse successfully.

DTS is being detected and read. The title of the trailer or feature is listed in the display for the XD20.

So, any suggestions for getting my Ultra*Stereo to pulse to digital automatically?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-11-2010 01:54 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What type of automation do you have?

On my old Christie automation, there was a rocker switch labeled "Feature Audio" with "Digital" in the up position and "SR" in the down position. If it was toggled in the down position, the Ultra Stereo would not pulse into DTS.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-11-2010 02:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mike. Your automation may be conflicting with the pulse that the DTS unit is trying to send.

When it is playing in digital, block the timecode reader from reading with an index card for 5 or so seconds. Does it revert to analog on its own? Remove the card and wait a second or two. Does it switch back to digital on its own? If so, the problem is not the DTS unit itself or the audio processor.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-11-2010 02:21 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this issue with a 6D and a CP65. It turned out to be a bad DB25 cable. If the XD10 (what's an XD20?) cable is the same, then it is a standard straight-through cable that can be purchased at any electronics or computer store.

Alternative possibility: since there are two setups with the same issue, is it possible that the Ultra-Stereo unit requires a longer pulse than the DTS unit provides? Did this ever work?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-11-2010 03:01 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other possible culprit is if DTS uses Optoisolators for the pulse...if they can't provide the current drain...then you will get marginal response. It is one reason I still use low-current relays in my designs...they are true isolation and always work...and the low current relays use Gold and are not affected by RoHS.

If you have one...put an analog meter on the automation line and look at the voltage...when the pulse comes through...does the meter really swing all of the way down?

Steve

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2010 03:28 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of the quick responses guys!

Mike - the automation is Big Sky Series 1.

Joe - I will try your test with the index card ASAP.

Scott - We have XD10 units in this building as well. I assumed that the XD20 was just the next level up or the newer model.

Also, I thought that I had read that the Ultra*Stereo requires a long-ish pulse. I had thought that was the likely problem, but I will try out any other suggestions.

No, these units have never pulsed properly.

Also, we have the same Big Sky automations in all 6 houses. However, only the two with Ultra*Stereo fail to pulse. The other houses all use the XD10P processors and either XD10 or XD20 DTS units and work just fine.

Steve - I do not have an analog meter.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2010 01:19 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The internal relays of the XD20 to send a pulse are not powered from the XD20 itself but from the end point (CP45,65 e.t.c) in your case the JS200. In the automation go:
- Format
- Pin definiations
- Predefined formats
- DTS-6D Emulation

then go back to
- Format
- Operating Mode
- DTS-6D Emulation

then go back to Automation menu
- TEST
- Select Pinout to see if it pulses the JS2000
***PINOUTS***
1 Format 0 (Mono)
2 Format 1 (A-Type)
3 Format 2 (SR Type)
5 Format 4 (DTS)
7 Format 6 (Non Sync)

if it does not, try selecting from
- Automation
- Format
- Pin definitions
- Predefined Formats
- Ultrastereo JS

and then do the whole test (leave the operation mode as DTS-6D Emulation)

If you check the XD20 manual the procedure is explained. I had the issue with the CP65 when I did an installation as it was not pulsing and it ended that I needed to put it on DTS-6D emulation in both pin assingment and operating mode so try that yourself and probably you will get it. At least with the TEST function you can check if the XD20 is properly pulsing the JS200 unit. Unfortunately you cannot check directly on the cable as when you disconnect it the automation relays in the XD20 are not powered thus not triggering. Also if you have a another automation in line with the DTS try leaving just the DTS unit on and check if the test does pulse the ultrastero. In any case you should change the thread as DTS not pulsing Ultrastereo [Smile]

Good Luck

Demetris

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2010 12:11 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the test using a card to block the timecode reader.

In the first house, the Ultra*Stereo succesfully switched back to SR after 4 seconds. When I removed the card it successfully switched back to digital.

However, in the second house, it did not work at all. After 4 seconds of blocking the timecode the Ultra*Stereo stayed in digital (resulting in silence in the auditorium). I manually switched to SR and let that play for a few seconds. When I removed the card the Ultra*Stereo failed to switch back to digital. (Despite the fact that timecode was being detected and the XD20 had the name of the movie displayed).

After we press START, the Ultra*Stereo switches to SR when the dowser opens (we have never had problems with this part of it).

Our institutional snipes and ads will all play in SR (DTS is our only digital format and these ads do not have DTS).

When the first trailer hits the screen it SHOULD switch to Digital/Ext but it does not. We have to manually switch it.

Demetri -- Thanks for the tips, but I am afraid that this stuff may be over my head. I will review the manual as well, to see if that will make it more clear to me. (I am sure that it is my lack of understanding, rather than your explanation, that it is the problem).

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-12-2010 05:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the XD 20 programmed for the correct automation configuration
Also just to verify the cable test it with a jumper

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: