Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » dts 6ad problem

Author Topic: dts 6ad problem
Drew Ballard
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2010 03:06 PM      Profile for Drew Ballard   Email Drew Ballard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we recently added 2 barco dp1200 digital projectors to our house and now our dts does not want to swap formats between external to nonsync and thats our intermisson sound anybody no anything about these blessed dts 6ads

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2010 04:25 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have an automation device inbetween the server and processor to tell the processor to switch to non-sync when the server pulses "end of show?"

Drew Ballard
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2010 07:04 PM      Profile for Drew Ballard   Email Drew Ballard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes we are running dolby show manager

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2010 07:28 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll need to make sure the automation is programmed to switch back to Nonsync at End Of Show.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2010 07:43 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify, does it switch from "Non-sync" to "External" and is NOT switching from "External" to "Non-sync"? If so, make sure that your automation macros are set correctly on the show manager and also make sure the automation connections are hooked up correctly on the "Status/Control A" on the DTS unit. "Non-sync" is on pin 7 and "External" on pin 5 with ground connection on pin 12 of the DB25 connector.

Drew Ballard
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2010 09:05 PM      Profile for Drew Ballard   Email Drew Ballard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it does not switch either time i think the guy that installed the digital gear was not to familer with dts gear cause he has the pin out wrong

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2010 09:17 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Drew Ballard
i think the guy that installed the digital gear was not to familer with dts gear cause he has the pin out wrong

Sounds like it's then time to call him back to correct the issue, or make a statement that an incorrect service was completed to the supplier of the digital unit and some restitution needs to be in order.

Not fair for you to be left with an incorrect operating system.

-Monte

Drew Ballard
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2010 11:23 PM      Profile for Drew Ballard   Email Drew Ballard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we called him but his repley was the system was incorrect but according to dts yhe system can handle the digital system automation

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-08-2010 07:23 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 6AD sounds like there is nothing wrong with it but with the installation and probably with the person who installed it

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-08-2010 09:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definately an installer mistake! The 6AD is exactly the same as any other common audio processor in the automation switching realm.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2010 10:38 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Drew Ballard
we called him but his repley was the system was incorrect but according to dts yhe system can handle the digital system automation
Is he trying to sell you on getting another processor? If so, that may be why he's blaming the problem on the DTS unit being incompatible (which is not true) with the Dolby Show Manager.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-10-2010 09:45 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps call in another booth tech. I think the guys at Odyssey over in Atlanta do service work and they know every processor inside out so you might give them a call... Also, I feel it's high time to start exposing who these bad techs really are... so other people don't get taken by them as you folks have.

Mark

Tom Wyse
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2010 10:26 AM      Profile for Tom Wyse   Email Tom Wyse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first question is why the installer didn't find the problem? When I was doing install I made sure everything worked prior to calling the job finished. For ANY problem I encountered, help was as close as the phone. I never had an equipment mfr. not willing to help with switching, operation, or pin out problems!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-12-2010 06:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy Tom!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: