Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » place to buy audio switches

Author Topic: place to buy audio switches
Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2010 12:34 AM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay i'm having trouble finding this just googling for it so i thought i'd ask.. i'm looking for a place to buy a two channel, two input switch that switches signal AND ground, like this one... http://www.dact.com/CT3_data_sheet.PDF (although this one is for 5 inputs) but this one costs about $90! it doesn't need to be as fancy as this seems to be, just with signal and ground switching for two stereo inputs, and i'd like not to use some a/b rca box from radioshack. thanks

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2010 02:34 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, don't knock "Rat Shack" too much. Go buy a project box and two DPDT switches and RCA female connectors so you can "A/B" both ground and signal with your own homemade box - if you know how to solder.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-07-2010 06:12 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off...don't knock good switches. A 5 position 4 pole switch that is gold contacts is going to cost! With electromechanical today...I wouldn't switch ANY audio without gold contacts.

For what you are doing, a MTA406P04 might do the trick. It is a 4PDT gold flash mini-toggle switch.

Steve

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2010 06:54 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
these guys have it all.

http://australia.rs-online.com/web/

they also distribute in UK.

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2010 12:37 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do love the good stuff, but sadly it's out of my budget at the moment. the 4PDT should be perfect, thanks.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2010 04:57 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you want to switch the grounds? Sound like a good way to get pops and hum while switching.

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2010 12:49 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm trying to avoid creating ground loops... i don't know much about the science of avoiding ground loops so i could be wrong...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-08-2010 05:16 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, for there are two basic kinds of ground usage - chassis and earth and you don't want to really mix the two. Thus doing ground switching is a good way to go.

..or, you could peek into ground loop isolators when it comes to audio input signalling.

-Monte

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-08-2010 05:26 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a gold plated switch that only requires a breakout cable (DB25 to whatever your equipment requires). And they are not wildly expensive.

2 Port DB25 Switch at Cables-To_Go

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: