Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Intake blower on Christie SLC lamphouse is not being my friend

Author Topic: Intake blower on Christie SLC lamphouse is not being my friend
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-06-2010 03:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two Christie SLC 30 lamphouses of fairly old vintage. The intake blowers have a note that says "Clean impeller and oil motor every 6 month [sic]. 4-5 drops do not over oil". I have been doing this, but these machines were used and I have no idea how they were treated previously. Oh, and the intake vent is plenty clean and unobstructed as well.

The problem is that these blowers on both lamphouses do not like to wake up in the morning and go to work. It takes them forever to get started and usually it is pure luck that they start working. Sometimes just opening and closing the lamphouse door does it (and no, it isn't the door switch). I have forbidden them from being powered off in the mean time.

So whatcha think? Replace blowers? Remove and give thorough cleaning? They look like kind of a bitch to remove, can't exactly do it between sets.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-06-2010 04:27 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but don't go to Grainger. The new part numbers don't fit, are made in China, and 65% fail within 6 months.

Use Google to look up the old Grainger number so you can get the original blower (Mexico) that will fit. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-06-2010 06:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it is true that the new motors often require sheet metal work...they use ball bearings and seem to be doing as well or better than the previous motors.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-06-2010 07:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would vote for new blower assys. from Christie. I believe they come with the moun ting bracket ready to install. They are also Chinese but are very well made motrors and ARE BALL BEARING! They are not cheap either but it is the best way to go...

Mark

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-06-2010 07:46 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once they're whistling in the morning there's no going back. Time to replace 'em.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2010 01:16 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could have a simple starting capacitor go kaboom. The motor might start eventualy but the capacitor gives that starting boost.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2010 03:41 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're basically shaded pole motors with OILITE bearings. Thus, no cap in series with the windings.

I've taken these motors apart, cleaned the hardend oil off on the shafts with FG, relubed the bearings, soaked up the cotton wick that surrounds these bearings with 10w oil and put them back together.

-Monte

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-07-2010 10:15 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think the ones that Christie supplies would be best. I know their newer blowers do not require the oil. God forbid that anything is made in the US, though.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2010 09:29 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
along the frame in a straight line they're might be two small open holes-one in each end of the frame - these be oil ports for the wicks that oils the bronze bearings.

My SLC/SLC-45 Reference consoles had these motors with the required 6 month oiling period.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: