Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Scanning Film frames

Author Topic: Scanning Film frames
Katie Trainor
Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2010 03:07 PM      Profile for Katie Trainor   Email Katie Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for advice on the best set-up for scanning frames of film either 35mm or 16mm film on reels or cores that is very gentle on the film. Any ideas on what rewinds to purchase, scanning equipment, camera equip, lightboxes etc
Apologies if I am not putting this inquiry in the correct forum.

Many thanks,

Katie Trainor
NYC, NY

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-04-2010 09:34 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking about scanning a whole movie or large section of a movie? Or do you mean you would like to scan one or two frames out of the movie?

If you are talking about scanning the whole movie there is no way to do it unless you use a telecine. That's a special machine to scan film to video or a computer file.

If you want to scan a few frames it might be possible to do it with a flatbed scanner if it has the capability to scan transparencies. Some models do. Some models don't. You have to check the specs of the piece of equipment in question to know for sure.

There are special devices for scanning film but I don't know any film scanners like this that wouldn't require you to cut the film to insert it into the machine.

But, don't forget! Even if you are able to scan a print you have to consider copyright ownership. That just opens up a whole different can of worms.
If you are scanning 16mm film the title might be in the public domain. If it is, you would be in the clear. If not, you could be getting yourself into trouble by scanning the print.
If you are scanning a 35mm film it is very likely that somebody else holds the copyright on the title.

Regardless of the copyright status of the film you are planning to scan it is up to YOU to find out if it is all right for you to do this and you must do it BEFORE you start scanning film.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 02-05-2010 12:42 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that since Katie is screening mostly nitrate for an archive, copyright isn't the primary issue.

quote: Randy Stankey
Are you talking about scanning a whole movie or large section of a movie? Or do you mean you would like to scan one or two frames out of the movie?
These are the operative questions. If you're doing just a frame or few, an Elmo document camera with a light box should work well. These can be mounted between rewinds and don't place any stress on the film. As Randy mentions, there are scanners that also do this job but probably aren't as gentle on film as you have to handle it more than placing it on the lightbox surface on the Elmo.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 02-05-2010 01:55 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff Kreines has a great scanner that the Library of Congress uses. Give them a call.

Though honestly, if you are scanning nitrate for an archives, you should be talking to people who are doing this now.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2010 03:59 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Katie,
We have a scanner which we use in the lab when a client wants a still shot, or something is needed just for internal examination.
One of the important things we had to find was one which would take a continuous strip of film, unlike most scanners that have a holder for maybe six frames, and no ability to place part of a roll in its gate.
We found one called Prime Film 3600U, which works just fine. It is built for still frames, so when using it for movies you get two frames, but that's no problem as the extra can be removed after seeing the preview scan.
After the scan is done, it transfers the image into Photoshop, or any designated software, and you can manipulate it to your choosing.
As to handling the film, the scanner can be put between a pair of hand rewinds, and the film removed between scans for moving to the next shot. You can't keep it in the gate while winding.
It needs to be near a computer with supplied software to make the initial scan. The PrimeFilm box itself is maybe 6 x 9 inches, and very light. Much smaller than the typical flatbed scanner.
As to copyright or other ownership, that's something I'm sure you know how to handle.
Any further questions, contact me directly.

Dick May

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-05-2010 08:14 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second the recommendation of Jeff Kreines' Kinetta scanner. But really, we need a bit more info. And Jeff's will presumably set you back 5 or 6 figures. Since you're asking here, rather than AMIA-L or somesuch, I imagine maybe you don't have that kind of money? In which case, well, it all gets complicated.

--jhawk

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-06-2010 10:03 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like this:  - [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: